1 of 2
10 years ago…
Posted: 23 April 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

it’s 2012, which means it’s almost 10 years since i began visiting iistix. i don’t think i really began on the boards until the fall of 2002, but i think i was reading articles before that.

i assume most of us are doing something different than we were 10 years ago. i was finishing undergrad in dc and in a long distance relationship with a girl in hawaii (which ended shortly after). now i’m in grad school, engaged and living in sf. sometimes it’s hard to believe it’s only 10 years, but in other ways, it’s a lifetime ago.

what has changed for the rest of you?

Posted: 24 April 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22

Dude for some people, it was puberty..

Posted: 24 April 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

so they’ve changed a lot.

Posted: 24 April 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1149
Joined  2007-12-05

i had it better in 2002.

Signature 

Trust me, it will be good for you.

Posted: 24 April 2012 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2008-04-28

I was living in texas and in the airforce back in 2002. was a stupid 22 year old who got caught up in the whole ‘azn pryde’ thing haha. Asianavenue even made it worse lol, though I admit I thought that site was fun. Holy shit that seems like an eternity ago, does that site even exist anymore?

calmed down a lot since then, or maybe I’m just a lot happier living in Hawaii and being able to surf, and not have to deal with cold weather. I still work in a tech field, now with IT instead of electronics/hardware.

ran the honolulu marathon in 2007, got a bachelor’s degree while working at my current job. I wasn’t really working through the bad economic times, so when people tell me now the economy is still in the shitter, i’m like ‘really?’. I guess I’m kinda lucky to have landed a good job during the time.

Posted: 29 April 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1384
Joined  2007-12-22

10 years really has gone by THAT fast… I was just graduating from college back in ‘02.

Married iistixers may soon outnumber all you single folks out there.  Kboy just got married this past year, tenjay’s engaged, and so are june[yupki]+jeff[versus].

As much as the internet changes, I think it’s still pretty awesome that IIStix is still around.

Signature 

“Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.”

Posted: 29 April 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-02-18

more than 10 here.  feels like lifetime ago when i used to steal off to the closest library to kill an hour or so between classes to catch up on all the thread updates.

i’m reminded of a recent episode on HIMYM where the gang romanticizes about their wonderful lives in the next 3 yrs.  starting from 2003.  how reality pans out from fantasy, no one can know.

i’m in same boat as jay99’s where then was somewhat better than now.  you feel you’re at a standstill but everything’s charging ahead all around you: love, life, work, children, illness, death.  some you embrace, others you wish only to crawl into bed and imagine it’ll all get better soon.  so here’s to a better next 10 years.

Posted: 01 May 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-05-10

Lessee.  10 years ago, I was in SF, at the second of 2 startups that don’t exist now (first was where I met Ki), coding & chasing tail (quite unsuccessfully).

Now I’m married, in finance (though still coding a fair amount), will be a father this year(!), and am currently in StL (natives will tell you that the Lou isn’t nearly as bad as Detroit, despite what the murder statistics say, and that’s true; it’s more like Dearborn) after going back to Chicago and then CT->NJ/NYC->Chicago again before ending up in Redbird country (which is a positive, me being a fan and all).

June and Jeff are still together?  Wow.

Posted: 01 May 2012 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-05-10
ahlin - 29 April 2012 02:38 PM

more than 10 here.  .

Different login name in the past?

Posted: 08 May 2012 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2008-02-18

10 years ago, i didn’t have a place of my own. now i do. i have more bills to pay but fortunately i have a better paying job that i love. 10 years ago, i was celebrating my 3rd year anniversary with my boyfriend.  now we’re finally tying the knot. dunno if i really changed that much as a person...but i’m certainly enjoying my life a little bit better now a days.

Posted: 14 May 2012 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1590
Joined  2008-02-20

10 years ago, I had just finished my last courses for my masters degree in computer science.  I think I started on IIStix in 2002.

I was sharing an apartment briefly with my so called best friend from high school… did not even know how crazy and dysfunctional she was at home.  I’ve since learned a lot about borderline personality disorder and psycho people.  Bad BAD kind of person to have in my life when I got sick.  She’s now married to the person I was dating at the time 10 years ago.

I lost the last 6 years to illness but I’ve improved a lot in the last couple months so now I’m sort of out and about somewhat.  Now I have to start restudying computer science.

Posted: 15 May 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^that’s good news! is your goal right now to work again?

Posted: 15 May 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2008-02-18

10 years ago seems like another life…
-was single and dating alot
-had bachelor pad
-state job working security
-nights filled with clubbing

now
-married
-4 yr old daughter
-working finance
-house/mortgage
-nights filled will story time or tea time

Signature 

UncreativeScreenName - 12 March 2008 10:54 PM
I got some extra body lube individual packets left over from when grace visited. I can give those to you

Posted: 16 May 2012 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1590
Joined  2008-02-20
tenjay - 15 May 2012 09:51 AM

^that’s good news! is your goal right now to work again?

Yeah, although right now I’m mainly working on improving my health as much as possible so work planning is kind of secondary.  I also want to take about a year to work on my own business before trying to get a job.  If successful, maybe the latter won’t be necessary. smile

Posted: 18 May 2012 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1158
Joined  2008-02-18

2002...I was 24.  I had joined iistix a few years before because coralie mentioned these tuesday night dinners we had at our apartments. I has probably just broken up with a girl from the bay area and back together with my future wife.  I was working as a database programmer for a mobile telecom.  I got my condo somewhere this year I think. I was probably in the best shape of my life.

2012, married.  Two kids.  House.  Attorney for a credit union. Fatter. Little bit balder.  My transformers collection is packed away.  I liked 2002 and 2012.

Posted: 22 May 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1384
Joined  2007-12-22
CurryChicken - 18 May 2012 11:58 PM

2002...I was 24.  I had joined iistix a few years before because coralie mentioned these tuesday night dinners we had at our apartments. I has probably just broken up with a girl from the bay area and back together with my future wife.  I was working as a database programmer for a mobile telecom.  I got my condo somewhere this year I think. I was probably in the best shape of my life.

2012, married.  Two kids.  House.  Attorney for a credit union. Fatter. Little bit balder.  My transformers collection is packed away.  I liked 2002 and 2012.

*sniff*… I miss the Transformers shrine and the track lighting.  Some day again, my friend… some day.

I was just thinking that I think the first time I met Ki in person, he was visiting Seattle and he gave me a II-Stix t-shirt.  That was my sophmore year in college… ‘98-99.

Signature 

“Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.”

1 of 2