Poll
should there be minimums for the participants?
yes 1
no 1
Total Votes: 2
You must be a logged-in member to vote
should ethnic specific beauty pageants have minimums for ethnic-ness? 
Posted: 11 February 2011 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

i read jeff yang’s latest asian pop (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/02/11/apop021111.DTL) and it was about mixed race asians. he brings up a japanese-american beauty pageant which currently requires 50% asian heritage, but may need to change that with more intermarriage by japanese-americans. i see both sides and i’m not sure what’s best.

Multiracial individuals note that mixed identity requires a constant negotiation of insider-outsider status; belonging to both can often mean feeling at home in neither. But for mixed-race individuals with less than half Asian ancestry, actual programmatic boundaries exist to inclusion. Some Asian American cultural and civic activities are restricted to those who have 50 percent Asian heritage or more—for example, San Francisco’s Cherry Blossom Queen pageant, which has been a fixture of the Japanese American community in Northern California since 1968.

“Racial eligibility rules were originally put in place because Asian Americans faced discrimination—it was a way for these communities to say, hey, our women are beautiful too,” says Dr. King-O’Riain, whose book “Pure Beauty” explores the history of Japanese American beauty pageants. “But now you have a problem, because on the one hand, there are fewer and fewer Japanese American girls who meet that 50 percent standard, and on the other, the community’s old guard is concerned that throwing open the racial eligibility rules will lead to blond-haired hakujin women becoming Cherry Blossom Queen, and then where would you be? So even though there’s this debate about lowering the racial percentage to 25 percent or getting rid of it entirely, I personally think the people running the pageant will shut it down before they do that.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/02/11/apop021111.DTL&ao=3#ixzz1DgwZoDjt

Posted: 13 February 2011 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1590
Joined  2008-02-20

I think there is going to be a lot more multi-racial people in the U.S. soon.  Maybe it will change the way we think about culture and ethnicity.

What if a Caucasian person grew up in Japan?  I think she should be able to be in a Japanese American beauty pageant.

Posted: 16 March 2011 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  454
Joined  2008-02-24

They really need to put an end to those Chinatown beauty pageants. Major WTF.

Signature 

Reality is negotiable. Outside of science and law, rules are meant to be bent or broken.

Posted: 17 March 2011 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22

Scott Fujita refers to himself and his heritage being Japanese-American.

Fujita_2.jpg

I’m cool with it.

Posted: 17 March 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

^he was adopted by a japanese-american family, so why not.
^^what’s so wrong with chinatown ones? are they any worse than non race specific pageants like ms. california or ms. america?

Posted: 17 March 2011 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22
tenjay - 17 March 2011 09:52 AM

^he was adopted by a japanese-american family, so why not.
^^what’s so wrong with chinatown ones? are they any worse than non race specific pageants like ms. california or ms. america?

I found a poster for Houston’s Chinatown pageant.

Dear Sweet Linus, I thought a city that size would have some attractive women.  But apparently, none of them are ont he pageant circuit.

2010%20poster.jpg