Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Posted: 23 April 2010 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  454
Joined  2008-02-24

At first I didn’t like the show very much for its gore and really graphic violence. Yet by the last few episodes I was hooked. The season finale was very gripping and sets up great for a second season but is postponed due to the actor who plays Spartacus fighting off cancer. A speedy recovery for him I hope.

Signature 

Reality is negotiable. Outside of science and law, rules are meant to be bent or broken.

Posted: 04 May 2010 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18

I just started watching this after another friend recommended it.  After two episodes it still seems rather gimmicky.  The violence, nudity/sexuality and language are all gratuitous.  Visually it’s clearly a knockoff of the 300.  I’ll give it a couple more episodes.

Posted: 04 May 2010 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  454
Joined  2008-02-24

I didn’t really get into it until after the 5th or 6th episode. Personally I found the 4th one the sickiest of them all.

Signature 

Reality is negotiable. Outside of science and law, rules are meant to be bent or broken.

Posted: 04 May 2010 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18

It wasn’t really the gore that got to me, it’s just the way it’s just tossed in there.  Like they need to have some slow mo blood flying through the air every 10 minutes.  And they need to have naked women around for no apparent reason just to boost viewership.  And the dialog sticks f!@# and cock in the most unnecessary situations, the delivery just sounds forced too sometimes.  It’s like “we gotta throw more in just cuz we can!”.

Posted: 04 May 2010 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

^that’s always annoying when swearing is used unnecessarily.  sometimes swearing is natural and flows, other times it feels forced.  as for violence, i’m not into the overly gratuitous stuff.  i was fine with the old james bond deaths where a guys would just fall over when shot.