SE Asia
Posted: 16 April 2010 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-03-07

Going to Taiwan next week for work and will have an extra week after, was seeing if anyone had suggestions on places to go in SE Asia. 

Was originally thinking Bangkok, but weary of the political unrest.  Now thinking Malaysia and Bali. 

Major Considerations:
1) Time - Only have one week
2) Cost - Don’t want to spend tons on airfare
3) Visas Restrictions

Thanks.

Posted: 16 April 2010 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22
nameless - 16 April 2010 02:57 AM

Going to Taiwan next week for work and will have an extra week after, was seeing if anyone had suggestions on places to go in SE Asia. 

Was originally thinking Bangkok, but weary of the political unrest.  Now thinking Malaysia and Bali. 

Major Considerations:
3) Visas Restrictions

Thanks.

Bali/indonesia is a great choice.

Posted: 16 April 2010 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2008-02-19

Philippines.  Cheap, but head for one of the fancy beaches like the ones on boracay.  Most people speak or at least understand english.
HK.  Hotels are not cheap but everything else is.  Go for the food. It helps to read/speak Mandarin or Canto.
Singapore.  I think its like HK, I’ve never been though. Everyone speaks english.

Posted: 18 April 2010 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1158
Joined  2008-02-18
nameless - 16 April 2010 02:57 AM

Major Considerations:
3) Visas Restrictions

Thanks.

You need a Visa to get into Indonesia, but you can get a tourist one on arrival.  http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_2052.html
Bali is cheap and you can spend a few days relaxing there.  I don’t know if I could do a whole week without getting bored.  If you have more time to kill, I thought Yogyakarta was worth the time.  It’s in Central Java and has these huge, old temples. I was especially impressed with Borobudur.

Good luck!