Cross-Country Moving Companies. 
Posted: 26 October 2009 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18

Does anyone here have any tips on moving companies? I tried looking at Pods, but they’re mad $$$ when it comes to long-distance, so I need an alternative. Any tips would be AWESOME! Thanks.

Posted: 26 October 2009 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2008-02-18

http://www.movingscam.com/

Move your valuables with UPS or Fed-Ex and everything else pods or movers.

“Get everything in writing.  Read everything you are given to sign.  Check every piece of paper and make sure that you have a complete list of every item, box, etc. that is placed on the truck.  Watch the movers like a hawk.  Make sure that the estimate has some teeth to it and is not a license to rob you blind when the movers arrive. “

“ In hindsight, I would have donated a lot more of my stuff before I paid to move it all the way from one coast to another.  Half of the stuff I didn’t even use for years, so I really didn’t “need” it.”

“I see lots of moves in this area with PODs, MI-Box etc.  You can save a little dough by having the PODs delivered to their local hub and you locally unloading it from there, vs. delivering straight to your destination, which adds a fair amount of cost.”

“I agree with shipping things you would be bereft to lose.  Do NOT use Monster Moving or any place to shops your move out to different movers.  You will possibly get a corrupt company that is going to contract your move out, ignore all your instructions, and find a way to shaft you.

“Keep every single piece of paper, make sure every promise or commitment is documented, read everything about how much you will be charged and think hard about how the moving company will determine if you “have more than expected”, have more steps than expected at the old or new place, require extra services, etc.  Take it from me, who lost 3 crates of paintings from my first solo show, there are many many skilled thieves in this business.”

“I moved from CA to NYC in 2005 and then back here in 2007. I used Northstar (Moishe’s on the NYC end) and they were frickin’ AWFUL. Gave me the run-around about the final date to deliver, couldn’t get a hold of anyone with a clue, stuff came broken, and about 6 boxes and their contents had black mold. The new printer that was still in its original box sealed and everything when I packed it up in SF arrived to me in NYC thrown into a huge Northstar box with a few pieces of crumpled paper, just rolling around. I was FURIOUS. And they could have cared less.

Coming back in 2007, I sold/gave away everything that I could replace, and shipped about 30 boxes back to CA via FedEx. Using my dad’s FedEx for business account, it cost about $500. So if you can find someone with a FedEx or UPS business account (their rates per pound are negotiated lower than what the average Joe Schmoe pays), that is your best bet. And do the PODS thing like others have mentioned for big stuff that you can’t let go of.”

“I still vote for FedEx, though, for the rest of your stuff.  If it is less than 150 lbs, you can use regular packaging shipment options.  If you have more than 150lbs, you can use their freight service.  Contact their customer service dept. for specifics. and if you know someone with a corporate discount, I suggest you consider calling in a favor for this to save some cash.”

http://www.vikingmoving.com/

Posted: 26 October 2009 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

a few questions as you prepare for your move…
-how much “keeper” stuff do you have?  i feel like a lot of stuff i’ve acquired in my twenties is not stuff that i’ll keep for decades.  you might not need that stuff.
-how permanent do you think your move is?  do you see yourself staying for many years or if a great opportunity came up in another place would you be there quickly?  it would probably be a pain to move all your stuff multiple times in a few years.

i was in dc for three years and never accumulated much there so i was able to ship it back via ups or fed ex.  that was mostly books and clothes.
have you considered leaving stuff behind, giving it away or selling stuff?  that might be more worth it unless you have deep financial or emotional attachment to your stuff.  in my opinion, most stuff is replaceable these days and the cost to move it could be pricey.  something that i did consider was doing the cross country road trip for the fun, experience and lowered price.  you could also save yourself the hassle of worrying about other people breaking/stealing your stuff.

Posted: 26 October 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2008-02-18
tenjay - 26 October 2009 12:13 PM

something that i did consider was doing the cross country road trip for the fun, experience and lowered price.  you could also save yourself the hassle of worrying about other people breaking/stealing your stuff.

You could even see if a friend would go along with you and then you can fly them back one-way. Two of my good friends went to Northwestern and they’ve made the car trip once to get the car to Chicago. I think Dave sent a lot of his things by train.

I’ve also heard of people having their stuff moved cross country by big rig drivers. Sometimes they only have to carry X amount of stuff and have extra room and move things as a side business.

Posted: 26 October 2009 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2008-02-19

if you dont have a lot of stuff you and you need to ship a car you could try to stuff everything into the car and just ship that.  I’ve heard of people doing that.  It ends up being a little cheaper.

Posted: 26 October 2009 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1158
Joined  2008-02-18

^i’ve done that before.  it was 1,400 to ship from Columbus, OH to Seattle, WA.  Not the safest way to ship though.

Posted: 26 October 2009 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18

I honestly only have my clothes, computer, DJing equipment (which is the killer part), and XBox...maybe a few boxes.

Amy & Co., that was extremely helpful; I’m going to check out FedEx or UPS to see if they can somehow crate my speakers and stuff.

Phew! I feel less panicked about this now. I’ve heard horror stories also of people getting their stuff packed up, only for their belongings to be held hostage until they paid an absurd price.

Thanks guys!

P.S. Curry, I’m actually road-tripping my car out to the West. So excited.

Posted: 27 October 2009 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2008-02-20

^ I second the above.  I moved my stuff from the east coast to the prairies for $250 by shipping through canada post.  We plan on selling all our furniture and using canada post when we move next year.