Posted: 31 October 2009 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2008-02-20

two things I’ve been working on:

cable and lace hat
IMG_3778_medium.JPG

cozy scarf with the sweetest yarn ever, manos del uruguay.  there’s only one place in town that carries this yarn, and they don’t have a very big selection
IMG_3770_medium.JPG

Posted: 31 October 2009 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2008-02-18

I love Manos! My LYS used to carry both but they’ve since stopped carrying Manos because Malabrigo is a couple dollars cheaper and has almost double the yardage. Have you knit with Malabrigo before? If yes, what are your thoughts about Manos vs Malabrigo?

I hate that my LYS has a very limited selection of colors, too. The last time I was there (yesterday, hah) they only had around 10 colors. I was talking to the shop owner and she explained that they order based on what sells and the season. They can place custom orders that come with the store’s next order, but it can take up to 2-3 weeks to ship from Uruguay.

I love My So Called Scarf! When I first knitted it, I had issues with the pattern so it definitely didn’t look as nice as yours. Love the blues and purples of the yarn. Very pretty!

Do your hats usually fit? I’ve knit 3 cabled berets so far and all three have been REALLY big. I knit the first one with Malabrigo and then the next two with Patons Classic Wool. My tension is not loose or tight so I’m not sure if I have a small head (~22 inches/ 57cm) or if the pattern I picked is for a very big one. The hats seem much bigger after blocking (by stuffing them to get a good shape with plastic bags and spraying with water).

Posted: 26 November 2009 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

^ I’ve never knitted with Malabrigo, but now I am curious. 
and… 10 colours is pretty good!  My LYS had 3 or 4.

That was only the second hat I have knit - the first I didn’t really use a pattern so it ended up really weird - and it fits but it doesn’t cover my ears.  I’m going to undo a bunch of rows and make it taller, once I actually decide to knuckle down and do it.

I just ordered this set of interchangeable wood circulars:
[img]
90306.jpg
[/img]
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Options_Interchangeable_Harmony_Wood_Circular_Knitting_Needle_Set__D90306.html
on sale for $65… considering that I usually spend a good $15 - 20 on any given set of circulars, and that I’ve decided I love circulars and don’t want to knit with anything else, I think I will probably save money in the long run.  Can’t wait for them to get here.  the different colours on the needles are beautiful but I hope they’re not too distracting.

Posted: 27 November 2009 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2008-02-18

I love Knit Picks! My favorite yarn from them is Elegance. Let me know how you like that needle set. The wood is so pretty on those Harmony needles. I’m sort of interested in ordering the smaller size dpns because I only have one set each of sizes 4 and 8. I think at my lys, the Clover circulars are $9-14 depending on needle size and length. I wish you didn’t have to switch from circulars to dpns when finishing hats!

You should definitely try Malabrigo Merino Worsted. It’s so so soft!

How do you organize your notions? I keep misplacing stitch markers and tapestry needles everywhere.

Posted: 27 November 2009 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

I have so many dpns… I am big into knitting mittens and other small things.

I made this!

IMG_0037.jpg

If I could make it again, I would add a zip or button pocket to hold things like stitch markers, because they keep falling out.

4 of 4