NYC
Posted: 18 August 2009 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-02-18

I best be start digging up some info. I got offered a contracting gig for the fall in Midtown, and though I haven’t fully committed yet, it MIGHT look like I’ll take it though. It’s through Sept-Dec.. and then I guess we’ll see where I’ll go from there. (I realize its late August.)

Initially I wanted to be living closer to my sister because she will be going to Parsons, but I don’t know if that’s the most optimum place to live. Just would like convenient access in a neighborhood with cheap to decent rent (800-1000). I’ve heard its been easier getting better deals on rent in this econ, but I don’t know how true that is. I’d be even down for living somewhere in Brooklyn, except I don’t think that looks too convenient. I don’t have too many standards. I’m not sure if i wanna be anywhere that is UES or UWS either. But I don’t want to get shot either?

Suggestions on neighborhoods?

Posted: 18 August 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2008-02-19

I don’t understand the bad wrap that Brooklyn receives, the places I have been to are awesome.  I have had some really good eat in Brooklyn and it’s safe enough.

Posted: 18 August 2009 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
White Belt
Rank
Joined  2008-02-18

Aye. I wouldn’t mind Brooklyn either. Just worried about the commute in, since I don’t really know too much about the public transportation or used it in while I was in NYC.

Posted: 18 August 2009 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2008-02-19

You’ll have to make the whole trade off decision (distance to work versus cost to commute, size of living quarters, etc.) yourself but you have to accept the fact that you’ll have to get used to walking, taking the subway or paying for cabs.  It’s just part of life in NYC, no?  Pick your poison, ha.

Posted: 18 August 2009 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18
emyh - 18 August 2009 09:04 AM

I don’t have too many standards.

hopefully you do in dating wink

Posted: 19 August 2009 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2008-02-18

UWS > UES but for convenience sake, i would pick the side your job is on.  going cross town is a bitchandahalf.
i live in hells kitchen and i love the neighb.

rent is down but i dont know if its 800-1000 down for anywhere decent in the city.  i think you’d still be looking at 11-1200.  you might be able to get a decent studio for that price though.

personally, i prefer a short commute. since i’m not a morning person. and i don’t want to shell out too much cash for cabs at night. though i suppose it alll comes out in the wash if you don’t go out that often and you’re diligent about not taking cabs.

beware of craigslist bait & switchers.  also, i would avoid the financial district and the LES.  financial district is way too far from everything. and the LES has a bunch of trendy places but once youre down there you end up trapped in the area and dont go elsewhere much.

Posted: 20 August 2009 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  179
Joined  2008-02-20

my brother ives in elmhurst. if you need a temp place to stay the house he lives in (5 rooms, i think) has a vacancy. It’s currently housing him (he’s a cop), a filipina girl that’s taking her master’s in FCI, and a thai dentist dude taking his master’s in NYU. I"m not sure you’d like the old Filipina landlord that lives in the house, tho. She’s nice and means well but very annoying (talks too much).

Also, I heard the UWS is getting populated with a lot of gay men. Whatever that means.

Signature 

---
aka flip19

Posted: 20 August 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
White Belt
Rank
Joined  2008-02-18

^Oh thank you! That would be great except I guess things kind of fell through though so I won’t be in NYC anymore.

Posted: 24 February 2011 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1508
Joined  2007-12-18

Can NYC folks suggest good clubs in NY? Will be visiting in near future.

Signature 

“If you’ve drawn a sword, at least cut something”

Posted: 24 February 2011 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22
II stix - 24 February 2011 12:42 AM

Can NYC folks suggest good clubs in NY? Will be visiting in near future.

Therapy and Eastern Bloc.

I think those would work for out for you.

Posted: 24 February 2011 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1508
Joined  2007-12-18

Thx, I’ll make sure to wear my ass-less leather chaps.

Signature 

“If you’ve drawn a sword, at least cut something”

Posted: 21 March 2011 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2008-02-18

where can i get some good Korean in NYC restaurant recommendations: Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Jersey: