Tokyo! 
Posted: 05 July 2009 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2008-02-20

Going to spend a week in Tokyo in December… I want to do lots of shopping and eating, and I want to stay somewhere within a short walking distance of good late night eats.  what part of the city should I stay in?  Shibuya?

Posted: 05 July 2009 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1508
Joined  2007-12-18

Last time I went I stayed in Shibuya. It was really convenient. Most definitely one of my favorite cities to visit.

Signature 

“If you’ve drawn a sword, at least cut something”

Posted: 05 July 2009 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1384
Joined  2007-12-22

Shibuya’s definitely a nice area… can be pricey, but then again, everywhere in Tokyo is expensive.  You traveling with the hubby?

Definitely visit Asakusa, Akihabara, Ginza, Senkakuji and Odaiba… if you have time to go outside the city, Kamakura is great too.  The Great Buddha that you can walk inside is there.

From my old blog:

Senkakuji
http://enscriptchun.blogspot.com/2004/08/kanto-recap-part-2-sengakuji-others.html

Kamakura
http://enscriptchun.blogspot.com/2004/09/kanto-recap-part-3-yokohama-kamakura.html

Signature 

“Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.”

Posted: 06 July 2009 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18

a couple of friends of mine stayed at one of those love hotels, apparently it was clean and cheap, and the room was bigger and nicer than the “real” hotels they stayed at.  i don’t know which one it was though.

Posted: 09 July 2009 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

yes, I am going with FutureHubby. 

thanks for the recommendations - sweet photos!  the story of Sengaku-ji was really interesting.  how much was it to stay in the capsule hotel?

I was wondering if I should go to Akihabara… I’ll be going to Taipei the week after and wonder if similar electronics will be cheaper there.  Anyone have any idea? 

err… those ‘love hotels’ - the idea of staying in one kind of skeeves me out. 

nskripchun - 05 July 2009 10:20 PM

Shibuya’s definitely a nice area… can be pricey, but then again, everywhere in Tokyo is expensive.  You traveling with the hubby?

Definitely visit Asakusa, Akihabara, Ginza, Senkakuji and Odaiba… if you have time to go outside the city, Kamakura is great too.  The Great Buddha that you can walk inside is there.

From my old blog:

Senkakuji
http://enscriptchun.blogspot.com/2004/08/kanto-recap-part-2-sengakuji-others.html

Kamakura
http://enscriptchun.blogspot.com/2004/09/kanto-recap-part-3-yokohama-kamakura.html

Posted: 14 September 2009 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

Having a dilemma.

We’re going to Tokyo for one week, then Taipei for one week.  The way we have the tickets booked now, though, we just have the winnipeg <--> tokyo portion of the trip booked.  On the way back (we’re leaving Tokyo Narita at 7:30 PM), we have two options:

1.  Fly from Taipei to Tokyo on the same day - I’m paranoid about flights being delayed, though, and since we didn’t book the flights together, this could be a problem. 
2.  Fly from Taipei to Tokyo the day before our flight back to Winnipeg - this feels like wasting a day, though.  dunno if it would be worthwhile to go back into tokyo for just one day. 

Our Winnipeg <--> tokyo flights are with air canada, and we’re going to probably use ANA to do the Taipei <--> tokyo leg, as it’s star alliance and not super expensive.

Posted: 28 September 2009 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-02-18

i thought shibuya and shinjuku were a little overrated after i heard so much. great for nightlife, it seems like.
i stayed in asakusa, and it was nice and quiet, and was more affordable than the rest of the city i felt like.

i would pop in a look at akihabara, not necessarily for shopping, but just because its quite infamous for electronics and its weird-like anime smush. you can probably stop by a maid cafe there if you’d like…

harajuku and the area where it met shibuya was definitely my favorite. i loved, loved harajuku. definitely my favorite part of town.

i would also check out ueno and ginza (don’t forget the tsuikiji fish market—the sushi there was DEFRIKKINGLICIOUS). if you like sushi, i would definitely spend your money on it, even if it wasnt cheap. this is the time!

outside tokyo, if you can, visit kyoto. i hiked up a shrine today, wondering if it was worth it --- and then i reached the top.

actually heading to taipei in a week.. can come back with more info smile

Posted: 28 September 2009 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-02-18

oh, and if you get your hair cut in tokyo, i know a dude in shibuya/harajuku, hehe…

edit: i didn’t get to go, but i heard a few things about the ghibli museum.

Posted: 28 September 2009 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2008-02-18

Shinjuku’s not too bad for late night eats.  I remember this tiny little avenue with all these little stalls along it.  It reminded me of southeast Asia - can’t remember what it was called though.  Shinjuku’s also great for taking trains in and out of tokyo if you’re planning any day trips.  Shibuya is much more expensive in comparison and filled with higher end store’s.  Harajuku’s definitely a lot of fun, remember to take a trip to the nearby park (can’t remember the name) on a Sunday.  The goth kids used to come out in full constume.  Nearby Yokohama’s not bad for shopping, it’s a bit cheaper than Tokyo.  I definitely agree with emyh on the fish market for sushi - it’s a must must must even if it means standing in line in the cold for close to an hour.  Try the the onsen if you get a chance too!  Let me know if you want the name of the place we stayed at (it took a while to get there from tokyo but we had a beautiful view of Mt. Fuji).

- oh and don’t forget to bring your warm clothes (including mitts).  it will be cool and humid!

Posted: 28 September 2009 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-20
emyh - 28 September 2009 08:50 AM

i thought shibuya and shinjuku were a little overrated after i heard so much. great for nightlife, it seems like.
i stayed in asakusa, and it was nice and quiet, and was more affordable than the rest of the city i felt like.

i would pop in a look at akihabara, not necessarily for shopping, but just because its quite infamous for electronics and its weird-like anime smush. you can probably stop by a maid cafe there if you’d like…

harajuku and the area where it met shibuya was definitely my favorite. i loved, loved harajuku. definitely my favorite part of town.

i would also check out ueno and ginza (don’t forget the tsuikiji fish market—the sushi there was DEFRIKKINGLICIOUS). if you like sushi, i would definitely spend your money on it, even if it wasnt cheap. this is the time!

outside tokyo, if you can, visit kyoto. i hiked up a shrine today, wondering if it was worth it --- and then i reached the top.

actually heading to taipei in a week.. can come back with more info smile

We ended up booking a hotel in the Ebisu area.  Quiet, but upscale and somewhat residential apparently.  It’s going to be my fiancee’s b day while we’re there, so he wanted to stay somewhere really nice. 
thanks for the recs!  Definitely going to the fish market.  I’ve been to kyoto before - went there several years ago with my family, don’t think we’re going to go this time.  So cool with all the shrines though, and I think we also went to the imperial palace there.

are you taiwanese?  have fun in taipei!  I’m super excited about going in december.  I’m trying to learn mandarin right now (again), my mandarin sucks.  are you staying in a hotel or with family?

Posted: 28 September 2009 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-20
lemon tree - 28 September 2009 12:06 PM

Shinjuku’s not too bad for late night eats.  I remember this tiny little avenue with all these little stalls along it.  It reminded me of southeast Asia - can’t remember what it was called though.  Shinjuku’s also great for taking trains in and out of tokyo if you’re planning any day trips.  Shibuya is much more expensive in comparison and filled with higher end store’s.  Harajuku’s definitely a lot of fun, remember to take a trip to the nearby park (can’t remember the name) on a Sunday.  The goth kids used to come out in full constume.  Nearby Yokohama’s not bad for shopping, it’s a bit cheaper than Tokyo.  I definitely agree with emyh on the fish market for sushi - it’s a must must must even if it means standing in line in the cold for close to an hour.  Try the the onsen if you get a chance too!  Let me know if you want the name of the place we stayed at (it took a while to get there from tokyo but we had a beautiful view of Mt. Fuji).

- oh and don’t forget to bring your warm clothes (including mitts).  it will be cool and humid!

will def bring mitts.  I get cold easily, I’m prob going to bring a light winter coat too.  ooh, gotta go see the goth kids.  will take lots of photos, my sister would be excited to see that.  do you recommend any onsen in particular? 

oy… I can’t wait for this trip!

Posted: 29 September 2009 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2008-02-18

Don’t forget to scope out yarn shops! Noro is from Japan and aren’t they supposed to have nice silk (Japan in general)? Also craft and knitting books! The Japanese ones always have super super cute things. In the US, they seem really expensive, but maybe in Japan they’re cheaper.

Posted: 29 September 2009 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

^ ooh good call.  Forgot to look into that.  I can hardly read standard patterns, not sure how I would be able to read them in Japanese.

Posted: 29 September 2009 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2008-02-18
joey - 28 September 2009 05:11 PM

lemon tree - 28 September 2009 12:06 PM

will def bring mitts.  I get cold easily, I’m prob going to bring a light winter coat too.  ooh, gotta go see the goth kids.  will take lots of photos, my sister would be excited to see that.  do you recommend any onsen in particular? 

oy… I can’t wait for this trip!

this is the place we stayed at when I was in Japan with my gfs:  http://www.hgp.co.jp/language/english/sp/index.html

it takes a while to get there though and if you do go, I’d suggest booking it for the beginning or end of your time in Tokyo.

oh - and if you’re looking for little trinkets and souvenirs for family and friends back home - we found a place in akihabara that had pretty reasonably priced stuff.  there seemed to be a few mega electronic stores in the area and at least a couple of them had some floor space dedicated to souvenirs.  it was way cheaper than most other places we went to and there was more variety too surprisingly.

have fun!  I’m excited for you!