Cooking your own food vs. Restaurant
Posted: 19 June 2009 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-12-06

Do guys ever feel after you cook your own meal you never want to eat it afterwards?  My cooking is not bad, btw, but my sense of aniticipation is greater when I know someone else is cooking the dish for me.

Posted: 19 June 2009 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1494
Joined  2008-01-30

I feel kinda opposite. I eat at nice restaurants once in a while and I feel I am competent enough to emulate the foods that they prepared, to at least look the same, but then cater the taste to what I would prefer. I now only go to nice restaurants when we are in a big group for an event or a date. I love cooking at home, I usually over prepare too much food that I have to call people over and ask them for help eating it.

Signature 

ActionBooth.com

Posted: 22 June 2009 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18

If I’m making something really complicated, sometimes it takes so long that I’m bored of it before i eat it.

I sometimes like to cook, but I rarely cook for enough people to make it worth the effort.

I mostly prefer eating out as not to have to deal with the cleaning up afterwards.

Posted: 22 June 2009 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18
dragonx - 22 June 2009 06:27 PM

I mostly prefer eating out as not to have to deal with the cleaning up afterwards.

I feel the same exact way.

Posted: 22 June 2009 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18

I used to like to make fancy dishes.  But then cleaning up all the different knives, cutting boards, pots, pans, serving plates, wine glasses, graters, whisks etc etc etc.

At some point, I got lazier, and moved on to things I could cook in the oven in a tinfoil lined pan (so I could just toss the foil).

That’s not too eco friendly, so nowadays i tend to come up with variations of things I can cook using one knife, one pot (or pan, but not both) one bowl, and a pair of chopsticks.

Posted: 22 June 2009 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1384
Joined  2007-12-22

It’s hard cooking for one, but then again, I’m the kind of guy who can eat the same thing like 3-4 nights in a row.

I do love going out to eat, but I also have a rule about usually ordering things that I can’t make myself when I go out to eat - why pay good money for chicken tenders or a salad you could make at home?

Signature 

“Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.”

Posted: 22 June 2009 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  454
Joined  2008-02-24

If the recipe is clean and simple yet delcious like a veggie burger, I would like to take control and make it on my own. If it is something complicated like Indian and Mid-Eastern for instance, I would opt for eating out.

Signature 

Reality is negotiable. Outside of science and law, rules are meant to be bent or broken.

Posted: 06 January 2011 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18
nskripchun - 22 June 2009 11:00 PM

It’s hard cooking for one, but then again, I’m the kind of guy who can eat the same thing like 3-4 nights in a row.

I do love going out to eat, but I also have a rule about usually ordering things that I can’t make myself when I go out to eat - why pay good money for chicken tenders or a salad you could make at home?

cooking for one?  things done changed!

Posted: 21 March 2011 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2008-02-18

I’ve been cooking a lot of Korean japanese dishes.. but would like to expand.
Anyone know how to make Good Pad Thai?
Thai Curry?
Ceviche?
Paella?

Posted: 21 March 2011 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

abel made some decent pad thai and he doesn’t have a lot of experience cooking. i’ll ask where he got the recipe.

Posted: 29 May 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  179
Joined  2008-02-20
SIMPLEQ - 21 March 2011 02:48 PM

I’ve been cooking a lot of Korean japanese dishes.. but would like to expand.
Anyone know how to make Good Pad Thai?
Thai Curry?
Ceviche?
Paella?

try foodgawker.com

Signature 

---
aka flip19