1 of 5
Mixed Martial Arts
Posted: 20 February 2008 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2008-02-20

The fastest growing sport today deserves its own thread.

Posted: 20 February 2008 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22

I think NASCAR is still the fastest growing sport today.

Anyway....

I’m wondering if it is time for Dana White to step down from control of the UFC and hand the reins over to a more seasons sports management professional.  I wonder how much of his own personailty gets int he way of things, like signing Fedor or the HBO deal.  I mean, he brought the UFC up from nothing, and he deserves all the credit in the world for that.

But at what point does someone more experienced need to step in?

I mean, M-1 is kaput, K-1 is starting to fill the void PRIDE FC left.  Brazilian Top Team and Chute Box more or less disintergrated once PRIDE was bought out.  I want to see more unified belts and true championship fights.

Posted: 31 March 2008 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18

word to Cung Le. He’s old, but still nimble.

With Shamrock he didn’t do his signature flying scissors, but still bad-ass to break his arm.

Posted: 31 March 2008 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

^^i think nascar has slowed the past few years.  could be mma, but it came from nowhere and will now have some showings on network tv.  i’m skeptical of mma becoming that big, but maybe it’s because i’m not a fan myself.  also, maybe it already is, but will they show it on sportscenter?  that might be a good measuring stick of being a mainstream sport.

as for the fastest growing sport (pro, not participational sports) wasn’t arena football in the mix for awhile?

Posted: 31 March 2008 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-22
tenjay - 31 March 2008 11:02 AM

^^i think nascar has slowed the past few years.  could be mma, but it came from nowhere and will now have some showings on network tv.  i’m skeptical of mma becoming that big, but maybe it’s because i’m not a fan myself.  also, maybe it already is, but will they show it on sportscenter?  that might be a good measuring stick of being a mainstream sport.

as for the fastest growing sport (pro, not participational sports) wasn’t arena football in the mix for awhile?

They do show it on Sportscenter.  ESPN has an affiliation with Sherdog.com for MMA related events.  In addition to that ESPN aslso has its own staff cover MMA events.

I still think unless there are unified belts, MMA won’t grow as much as it can.  In addition, companies like Zugga, which own the UFC need to be more open regarding its finances and they need a standardized drug testing policy, instead of deferring to the various state boxing commissions to hand down punishments.

Posted: 31 March 2008 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1384
Joined  2007-12-22
aznspyter - 31 March 2008 09:33 AM

word to Cung Le. He’s old, but still nimble.

With Shamrock he didn’t do his signature flying scissors, but still bad-ass to break his arm.

The sweep in round 3 was pretty sweet.

http://fightstalker.com/2008/03/30/1944/

Signature 

“Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.”

Posted: 12 April 2008 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
White Belt
Rank
Joined  2008-02-20

Yep, it has been shown on Sportscenter.  Recaps and highlights of recent PPVs are even included in ESPN News, SC, etc.  They’ve also interviewed several fighters, commentators, and other officials in the UFC.

I don’t think there needs to be any unification.  All these other tools who try to position their promotions to compete with the UFC have craptastic business models and they end up running their orgs into the dirt within 2 years.  They pay top dollar for B-level fighters and try to market them for PPV buys based on their pasts as “UFC veterans.” WFA, Bodog, IFL, etc.  They’re all jokes.  EliteXC has Gary Shaw’s $ and all of his myopic business sense, too.  YAMMA will fold in a few years.  If Pride’s demise last year was any indication, Dream and World Victory Road won’t last long, either.

The UFC has THE deepest talent pool.  Over the past year, with Pride’s collapse, they’ve acquired a significant share of the free agents to bolster their claim of having the best fighters.  If you want to prove you’re top dog, you must fight in the UFC.  That’s just the way it is.  Granted, there is awesome talent outside the UFC including Gomi, Barnett, Kid Yamamoto, Ishida, and Kawajiri, but the UFC is widely recognized by hardcore and casual fans as the real proving ground.  The UFC’s also made intelligent moves to expand and given the “UFC (and nothing else) is MMA” shared by casual fans, I honestly can’t see any other promotion toppling them.  The brand name alone is far too strong.

Forget unification.  Proof of a fighter’s status as champion should be established in the UFC, where the competition is fiercest.  Fans don’t need to deal with the pettiness of rival orgs playing tug-o-war over revenues from a cross-promo event.

Posted: 24 May 2008 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-22

I actually thought for a second that Wanderlei Silva killed Keith Jardine.

Holy crap that was a knockout, that was even worse Matt Riddle destroying Dan Smiller in TUF recently.  The moaning was horrible.  Horrible.

Posted: 24 May 2008 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
White Belt
Rank
Joined  2008-02-20

Awesome night of fights.  Everyone came out determined to finish.  I really wanted Sherk to win, but BJ Penn is a freaking animal.  Good to see Wanderlei return to his old ways.  That KO was savage.

Posted: 25 May 2008 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1508
Joined  2007-12-18

I watched Korean guy elbow that white dude to death (forgot his name). It’s that much better watching that match with Korean commentator talking about how much better Korean fighter is and how much better looking he is. smile

Signature 

“If you’ve drawn a sword, at least cut something”

Posted: 26 May 2008 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2008-04-28
kyoppo - 24 May 2008 09:28 PM

Holy crap that was a knockout, that was even worse Matt Riddle destroying Dan Smiller in TUF recently.  The moaning was horrible.  Horrible.

ya totally. wand is my favorite fighter and i was stoked as hell seeing him get that KO, but also i was hoping jardine was okay. that knockout was one of the more devastating KOs i’ve seen in a long time. hopefully no long-term damage was done

wandyownage02.gif

Posted: 26 May 2008 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2008-02-18

dam silva is back

Posted: 26 May 2008 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
White Belt
Rank
Joined  2008-02-20
II stix - 25 May 2008 05:39 AM

I watched Korean guy elbow that white dude to death (forgot his name). It’s that much better watching that match with Korean commentator talking about how much better Korean fighter is and how much better looking he is. smile

Kim Dong-hyun.  MMA media outlets were saying he was a KO artist before his fight at UFC 84.  I loved the ground-and-pound, but his stand-up’s questionable.

Posted: 28 May 2008 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18
aznX7 - 26 May 2008 03:23 AM

kyoppo - 24 May 2008 09:28 PM

ya totally. wand is my favorite fighter and i was stoked as hell seeing him get that KO, but also i was hoping jardine was okay. that knockout was one of the more devastating KOs i’ve seen in a long time. hopefully no long-term damage was done

wandyownage02.gif

he definitely took it to the face. but did anyone else see Wanderlei clip Jardine’s back of the head?

Posted: 29 May 2008 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-22

Kyra Gracie - Insert your rubber guard, mount and submission jokes here.

kyragracie2tt2.jpg

Posted: 29 May 2008 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2008-04-28

gfd_l4.jpg

I like gina carrano better :D

1 of 5