1 of 2
Chicago/NYC/Boston/DC
Posted: 21 July 2008 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-03-07

I’m planning a trip for Chicago, NYC, Boston, and DC in early September.

Just wanted to know if you guys had input on:

1) How many days I would need to stay in each city?

2) How to travel between NYC, Boston, DC? via train, bus, plane?

3) Any places to visit besides the obvious ones.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: 21 July 2008 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2008-02-18

nyc.

1 day is enough for all the touristy things. but i’d never recommend anybody to do touristy things in nyc. except watch a bway show.  if you’re a boozer, a couple of nights is enough. which i don’t think you are. but there are nicer, quieter, chicer lounges worth checking out.

if you’re coming from dc/nyc i’d recommend boltbus. 20-25 bucks for a one way. has more room than other buses. and they have outlets and wireless. or a train. for upwards of $100

Posted: 21 July 2008 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18

Boston:

If you can do NYC in 1 day, 1 day as well out there. Back bay (shopping mecca on Newbury Street, which is where I work too so stop by!), downtown/Chinatown/Boston Commons, and North End/South End.

Bus. Bus bus bus to NYC.

Posted: 21 July 2008 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2008-02-18

i believe theres a boltbus from boston/nyc as well.

Posted: 21 July 2008 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2008-02-19

DC:

1.  Maybe a day or two to see anything/everything here.
2.  Bus would be the most economical.  I takes about 4.5 hours to get from NYC to DC and if you’re looking to catch some sleep while on the bus then go with Greyhound since they have buses that run around/past midnight.  If your looking for cheap places to rest your head, I think Kwalan stayed at a hostel on 11th and K streets or thereabouts for cheap.

- I’d say you go grab a slice of jumbo pizza from Adams Morgan (perhaps after getting a few drinks). 
- If you’re into chess go play a pick up game next to the White House or at Dupont Circle.
- Contact your congressperson if you’d like a tour of the Capitol and/or the White House.  You should do this well in advance as you’ll not be able to tour inside without first getting ticket/clearance.
- Maybe catch a baseball game at the new stadium, I hear that it’s pretty nice.

Posted: 21 July 2008 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2008-02-18

For Chicago. Stay as long as you can.  You’ll never run out of things to do.

Typical things to do… visit the museums, theatres, lake front, michigan ave shopping, state street shopping, sears tower, john hancock tower, eat at restaurants (especially steak and italian)… I think they offer architectural boat rides that go down the chicago river through downtown to the lakefront.  Go see a Cubs game at Wrigley, eat popcorn from Garrett’s, italian beef sandwich at Mr. Beef, deep dish pizza at Pizzeria Due or Gino’s East.  If you need some big mall shopping, drive to the northwest suburbs for Woodfield Mall (largest mall in Chicago area) or north to Gurnee Mills mall (indoor outlet shopping). There’s some funky shopping and restaurants at Belmont/Clark and the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood, and I could go on and on…

Posted: 21 July 2008 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2008-02-18

^ also:

Aberdeen dodgeball on Tuesday/Thursday nights 9pm by Little Italy

and visit the Joe and Dook Studio near Chinatown

Signature 

andrew-david.com

Posted: 21 July 2008 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^and if u’re in little italy to watch them, go to Mario’s Italian Ices on the way

Posted: 21 July 2008 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2008-02-19

I think it all depends on what you want to see.  you could spend a week in DC doing all of the tourist stuff and still not get everything done.  The Smithsonians alone could take a week.  You could probably squeeze most of the big stuff into two days but it would be a very hectic two days by foot.  One day for most of the national mall and then another day for the stuff outside of it, Georgetown, adams morgan, Arlington national. 

As for NYC, same thing but i would a lot another day, 3, to see Time Square, NYC chinatown, Statue of liberty, ellis island, Central park.  There still Flushing (in Queens) Brooklyn. WTC area, Broadway, 5th ave, rockerfeller center, SOHO, the Met, i could go on and on. 

I wouldnt rush through any of these things.  The cities are huge but luckily you wont really need a car for those two, everything is public transport accessible, look into getting a day pass if possible, although i dont think there is one for DC, can’t remember if there is one for NYC or not.

as for getting from DC to NYC or visa versa I would use the bus, Chinatown or that bolt bus, cheaper than greyhound (i think)

Posted: 21 July 2008 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2008-02-19
(o’_’o) - 21 July 2008 08:58 AM

DC:

1.  Maybe a day or two to see anything/everything here.
2.  Bus would be the most economical.  I takes about 4.5 hours to get from NYC to DC and if you’re looking to catch some sleep while on the bus then go with Greyhound since they have buses that run around/past midnight.  If your looking for cheap places to rest your head, I think Kwalan stayed at a hostel on 11th and K streets or thereabouts for cheap.

- I’d say you go grab a slice of jumbo pizza from Adams Morgan (perhaps after getting a few drinks). 
- If you’re into chess go play a pick up game next to the White House or at Dupont Circle.
- Contact your congressperson if you’d like a tour of the Capitol and/or the White House.  You should do this well in advance as you’ll not be able to tour inside without first getting ticket/clearance.
- Maybe catch a baseball game at the new stadium, I hear that it’s pretty nice.

Yeah, I remember that. The hostel was $32/night or so and shacked up in a room with 6 other people. Bring earplugs and pack very light. I had traveling companions though so that made it worthwhile, and I ended up meeting a Korean girl there too shortly before she returned to Korea. We still keep in touch, surprisingly.

Signature 

٩๏̯๏)۶
╮(╯_╰)╭

Posted: 21 July 2008 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1494
Joined  2008-01-30

chicago is a free trip. we’ll take care of you here.

Signature 

ActionBooth.com

Posted: 21 July 2008 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22

Yeah.  You’ll have fun.

We’ll take you somewhere where you can curse at black people AND drunk white people with impunity.

Posted: 21 July 2008 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^you’re bringing him to wrigleyville, huh

Posted: 21 July 2008 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
White Belt
Rank
Joined  2008-03-07

Thanks for the tips!  I’m probably going to do:

Chicago - 5 days
Boston - 2 days
NYC - 5 days
DC - 2 days

I’ll post something when I finalize. Hopefully, I can hang out w/ some of you guys when I visit.

Also, any additional restaurant recommendations would be helpful.

Posted: 10 August 2008 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2008-07-09

5 days is good for the chi. now let’s hope you can get us all together in one day. we’ll make it happen!

Signature 

you smell like iistix!

Posted: 28 August 2008 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
White Belt
Rank
Joined  2008-03-07

My schedule is:

Chicago: 9/3-9/8
Boston:  9/8-9/10
NYC:  9/10-9/15
DC:  9/15-9/17

Just let me know if you’re free to hang out.

1 of 2