3 of 49
consolidated movie ramblings
Posted: 29 February 2008 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2008-02-20

Caught a midnight showing of Semi-Pro and I enjoyed it.  Classic, quotable dialog (still can’t touch Anchorman, though) and several scenes are just so crazy and unpredictable.  Fun times.

Posted: 29 February 2008 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-02-18
June - 28 February 2008 03:31 AM

Nahcc - 27 February 2008 07:12 PM
Just watched Howl’s Moving castle not too long ago.  Loved it, if you haven’t seen it, it’s a definite renter.

But imho it still doesn’t beat Princess Mononoke.  (Probably due to millions of little forest sprites)

i dunno, i am going to have to disagree and say that PM was really overrated for me. HMC is probably my favorite miyazaki film, right up there with spirited away. i just thought it was so much more whimsical and more along the vein of what i think is the essence of miyazaki. i also love love love my neighbor totoro… i am still waiting for a sequel raspberry

I agree with June. i LOVED HMC. I had a HUGE crush on Howl. Yummy anime dude.

Princess Mononoke was OK. I loved the animation, but the characters didn’t do enough for me…

Signature 

“ I don’t have an ego. I just love how awesome I am! “

Posted: 29 February 2008 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-02-18

I just watched “ The Last King of Scotland” and I swear, I know why Forrest Whittaker won an Oscar for his performance.
James McEvoy-- Not much to look at in this film, but I liked his character. This movie was depressing but oh so interesting…
and bloody..

Signature 

“ I don’t have an ego. I just love how awesome I am! “

Posted: 29 February 2008 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2008-02-19
sparklehorse26 - 29 February 2008 02:44 PM

June - 28 February 2008 03:31 AM
Nahcc - 27 February 2008 07:12 PM
Just watched Howl’s Moving castle not too long ago.  Loved it, if you haven’t seen it, it’s a definite renter.

But imho it still doesn’t beat Princess Mononoke.  (Probably due to millions of little forest sprites)

i dunno, i am going to have to disagree and say that PM was really overrated for me. HMC is probably my favorite miyazaki film, right up there with spirited away. i just thought it was so much more whimsical and more along the vein of what i think is the essence of miyazaki. i also love love love my neighbor totoro… i am still waiting for a sequel raspberry

I agree with June. i LOVED HMC. I had a HUGE crush on Howl. Yummy anime dude.

Princess Mononoke was OK. I loved the animation, but the characters didn’t do enough for me...

I’m not a big fan of HMC.  maybe it was because I watched the dubbed version but it didn’t do anything for me.  I still think spirited away is his best film, that i have seen from him.  Nausicaa followed by Porco Rosso.  Princess Mononoke was so-so as was Kiki’s delivery service

Posted: 29 February 2008 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2008-02-20
jeesukkie - 29 February 2008 06:01 AM

June - 28 February 2008 03:28 AM
i dont know what the general consensus is, but in my opinion i think its bc the main girl embodies everything korean girls typically arent, and aren’t supposed to be, so it was a new insight into this breed of female… it was probably liberating and fascinating and funny for a lot of koreans who watched it. i know that after the movie debuted, it was almost “in” to act like her for a lot of girls in korea.

That’s exactly it, really.

interesting, and weird.  I’m surprised that kind of role was so novel. 

Just finished watching Everything’s gone green.  I love Douglas Coupland, but was overall disappointed with this movie.  it just seemed like a haphazard amalgam of various plot lines, characters, and concepts from his books, but didn’t have as much of the witty banter as his books, none of the moments of revelation.  I felt like I’d seen it all before, like he’s running out of ideas.

Posted: 02 March 2008 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
White Belt
Rank
Joined  2008-02-20

^I think the role would have been rejected by Korean society had the woman who played the part been oogilay.  Jeon Ji-hyun, though, is easy on the eyes, so the role went over well with a lot of males.  Kind of a wake-up call showing them that physical beauty and outspokenness aren’t inversely related for women.  You can have both.

Posted: 02 March 2008 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2008-02-20

Moral of the story: hot women can get away with anything.

Posted: 02 March 2008 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18

Watch out for joey, she’s taking notes.

Posted: 03 March 2008 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2008-02-18

war - i didnt think there was enough action. shrug. and its not worth commenting on anything else besides the action of this film.

year of the dog - don’t watch it. unless you like torturing yourself.

shoot em up - i am in love w/ clive owen in this film. probably the best movie i’ve watched in a long time. oh and my favorite dirty scene ever.

enchanted - kinda wanted to shoot them all. except for pip the chimpmunk.

Posted: 03 March 2008 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18

Shoot ‘Em Up was SO. WASTEFUL. I can’t believe Clive Owen signed on to that project. though to its credit there were lots of guns. Lots of them.

Casting Monica Bellucci was a complete waste of a talent as a hooker. Though she’s old-skanky-hot, I guess I’ll let it pass.

Posted: 03 March 2008 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

Finally saw Days of Being Wild.  It starts out a little too slow.  I like the way it ended.
I wasn’t blown away by it though.

Man I wish I knew Shanghainese.

Posted: 03 March 2008 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2008-02-18
aznspyter - 03 March 2008 12:58 PM

Shoot ‘Em Up was SO. WASTEFUL. I can’t believe Clive Owen signed on to that project. though to its credit there were lots of guns. Lots of them.

Casting Monica Bellucci was a complete waste of a talent as a hooker. Though she’s old-skanky-hot, I guess I’ll let it pass.

how can you say this?

i mean, granted.....you take it for what it is.......

come on! I <3ed the nonstop action.

Posted: 03 March 2008 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18
tygress - 03 March 2008 01:33 PM

aznspyter - 03 March 2008 12:58 PM

how can you say this?

i mean, granted.....you take it for what it is.......

come on! I <3ed the nonstop action.

It was very reminiscent of Smokin’ Aces/Death Sentence/Exiled: Cool idea of committing a movie all about guns. But faulty in everything else. The plot was beyond sub-par (COME ON HIS BACKGROUND WAS A SHOOTING COMPETITOR WOW)...baddies were stand-ins to be filled with bullets. Just not thought-inspired at all..nothing new. I felt it was all just raw & senseless, no?

If I wanted something like that, I’d watch Hard-Boiled. 3:10 to Yuma. etc.

But whatever. It’s just a flick; I’m overanalyzing. haha.

Posted: 03 March 2008 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

I agree with kiggah on this.  It was all done tongue-in-cheek, over the top.  It wasn’t meant to be taken seriously.  I mean, that scene where they’re bangin all the bad guys while they’re bangin, had me totally cracking up.

Posted: 03 March 2008 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
White Belt
Rank
Joined  2008-02-20

Yeah, Shoot ‘Em Up wasn’t meant to be taken seriously.  It was crazy, over the top action with equally crazy one-liners.  I thought it was very well worth my $9.

3 of 49