2 of 49
consolidated movie ramblings
Posted: 26 February 2008 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2008-02-19
joey - 25 February 2008 10:17 PM

I just watched back to the future for the first time this weekend.  man, that’s a good movie.  I’m going to rent the sequels.

I love BTTF but the sequels weren’t as good as the original.  Although i think 3 is better than 2.  just be sure to watch 2 and 3 together as they were meant to be 1 movie.

Posted: 26 February 2008 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2008-02-20

^ thanks for the heads-up . I’m sad to hear they weren’t as good.

Posted: 27 February 2008 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2008-02-25
joey - 25 February 2008 10:17 PM

I just watched back to the future for the first time this weekend.  man, that’s a good movie.  I’m going to rent the sequels.

one of my fav movies of all time… =P

Posted: 27 February 2008 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2008-02-25

i just finished watching No Country For Old Men and it was well done, although now that I’ve seen all the “best picture” oscar-nominated movies now… Michael Clayton was better (IMO) than NCFOM. Juno too.

Posted: 27 February 2008 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-02-27

Just watched Howl’s Moving castle not too long ago.  Loved it, if you haven’t seen it, it’s a definite renter.

But imho it still doesn’t beat Princess Mononoke.  (Probably due to millions of little forest sprites)

Posted: 27 February 2008 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2008-02-20

I just saw my sassy girl.  Gyeon-woo looked so much like my friend’s ex boyfriend, it was sort of distracting.

this is probably sacrilegious to say, but while it had some funny moments and I really liked the end, overall, I didn’t get why it was so popular.  the girl was ridiculously demanding and unreasonable, and the guy kept whining.

Posted: 27 February 2008 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18

^ I think it’s a Korean thing.

Posted: 28 February 2008 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2008-02-18

i dont know what the general consensus is, but in my opinion i think its bc the main girl embodies everything korean girls typically arent, and aren’t supposed to be, so it was a new insight into this breed of female… it was probably liberating and fascinating and funny for a lot of koreans who watched it. i know that after the movie debuted, it was almost “in” to act like her for a lot of girls in korea.

Posted: 28 February 2008 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2008-02-18
Nahcc - 27 February 2008 07:12 PM

Just watched Howl’s Moving castle not too long ago.  Loved it, if you haven’t seen it, it’s a definite renter.

But imho it still doesn’t beat Princess Mononoke.  (Probably due to millions of little forest sprites)

i dunno, i am going to have to disagree and say that PM was really overrated for me. HMC is probably my favorite miyazaki film, right up there with spirited away. i just thought it was so much more whimsical and more along the vein of what i think is the essence of miyazaki. i also love love love my neighbor totoro… i am still waiting for a sequel raspberry

Posted: 28 February 2008 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2008-02-18

i watched “the brave one” earlier tonight, i thought it was pretty good.

Posted: 28 February 2008 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22

I just watched Rise: Blood Hunter, just because Lucy Liu was in it.

Uhm....

As a revenge flick it works pretty well for what it is.  Michael Chiklis is a great actor.

You see some Lucy boobies, albeit blood covered Lucy boobies.

Posted: 28 February 2008 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18
June - 28 February 2008 03:31 AM

Nahcc - 27 February 2008 07:12 PM

i dunno, i am going to have to disagree and say that PM was really overrated for me. HMC is probably my favorite miyazaki film, right up there with spirited away. i just thought it was so much more whimsical and more along the vein of what i think is the essence of miyazaki. i also love love love my neighbor totoro… i am still waiting for a sequel raspberry

Princess Mononoke imo was the best simply because it was an apex in his career where he went global AND FIRST hit the US viewers. In that view point, it sort of has a sentimental part in my viewing experience of Miyazaki’s films. I mean, over the years, with Spirited Away (which was decent), and Howl’s Moving Castle...I feel the latter two seem more related to women. Ashitaka was also one of the more adult-themed characters where the curse would eventually kill him, and the visit to the West was his spiritual journey to meet his death.

Plus, it was UBER-violent compared to his later films, and I think he toned it down ever since Disney picked him up as Miyazaki’s distributer in America.

Posted: 28 February 2008 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18
Kboy75 - 27 February 2008 06:11 PM

i just finished watching No Country For Old Men and it was well done, although now that I’ve seen all the “best picture” oscar-nominated movies now… Michael Clayton was better (IMO) than NCFOM. Juno too.

No Country For Old Men had one of the most flawless scripts, until the last two scenes. I think it’s one of the worst endings because it ruined such a great film that had potential to be more.

With that said, Michael Clayton may be better simply because it had better execution in all three acts, and it didn’t have the annoying pacing of indie films (though in NCFOM I totally didn’t mind the lazy intro...true to the character and the setting).

Posted: 28 February 2008 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2008-02-18

starudst - cute
in land of women - kinda strangely beautiful yet unsatisfactory
live free or die hard - (the latest one) so much action.

Posted: 29 February 2008 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2008-02-20
June - 28 February 2008 03:28 AM

i dont know what the general consensus is, but in my opinion i think its bc the main girl embodies everything korean girls typically arent, and aren’t supposed to be, so it was a new insight into this breed of female… it was probably liberating and fascinating and funny for a lot of koreans who watched it. i know that after the movie debuted, it was almost “in” to act like her for a lot of girls in korea.

That’s exactly it, really.

2 of 49