3 of 4
Golf
Posted: 31 July 2008 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2008-02-18

haha… i’ll have to confess to popping the collar when it’s hot. even with sunblock, the back of my neck gets so hot, and pretty damn dark. when i’m feeling that hot, i’ll do anything to cool down. even busting out the bucket hat

Posted: 31 July 2008 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

isn’t being dark part of being philipino?  wink

Posted: 31 July 2008 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^yeah, but I want to be brown. not brown with a black neck!  fortunately i run shirtless on hot days, so that helps even things out.  Of course that being said, I’ve got a permant pair of “white shorts” on my body. I’m also sometimes susceptible to sun/heat rash, but fortunately not as bad as my friends.  Neutrogena sunblock is awesome to prevent that.

Posted: 07 August 2008 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  283
Joined  2008-02-19

with all the golf tips on youtube, who needs golf lessons? which pro do you guys look to for that swing inspiration? jack, tiger, charles barkley, etc?

Signature 

http://s7.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=78828

Posted: 26 August 2008 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-19

where do you guys practice? range or home? and if you practice at home, what do you use, mats or grass?

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2008 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-19

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/LPGA-s-English-only-edict-Dumbest-rule-ever?urn=top,103680

so basically what they are saying is that koreans are beating our US assess so we are going to change the lpga rules a little and make you people speak english or else be suspended!

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2008 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

after hearing mike wilbon on pti, i somewhat agree with the lpga.  the lpga wants the players to interact with the sponsors which is fair enough.  they should provide interpreters and encourage them to learn english instead of requiring them to learn english.  would they really want to admit they don’t have the most talented players in the world on their because they can’t speak english?  i’m pretty sure if a player in the top 10 didn’t learn english, she could stay.  if you’re in the bottom 20 and aren’t making an effort to learn english, you’re probably gone.

Posted: 28 August 2008 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

yeah, i think they’re going about it in the worst way possible.  It sends a bad message just like that 9 year old little league kid getting kicked out of his league because he pitches too well.  It’s like punish those who exceed so the rest of the pack can look or feel better.

Posted: 28 August 2008 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1508
Joined  2007-12-18

LPGA and their pathetic “commissioner” can eat a dick. We are talking about golf, not wrestling. People watch golf to see golfers compete, not entertain the crowd with in depth interviews.

Everything else is just a lame excuse to exclude “outsiders” from winning all the trophies.

Signature 

“If you’ve drawn a sword, at least cut something”

Posted: 28 August 2008 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-19

I guess we can look at the brighter side of this head-scratcher. the golfers from overseas can just learn english and win some more tournaments. perhaps the lpga will contend that all players now wear ‘made in the us’ golf attire and are only allowed to play with the clubs provided by their “suppliers?”

just think if congress had the balls(no pun) like the board of the lpga to pass such a law! NO ENGLISH NO SERVICE!

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2008 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22
II stix - 28 August 2008 11:49 AM

LPGA and their pathetic “commissioner” can eat a dick. We are talking about golf, not wrestling. People watch golf to see golfers compete, not entertain the crowd with in depth interviews.

Everything else is just a lame excuse to exclude “outsiders” from winning all the trophies.

I don’t think the LPGA commish eats dicks.  Isn’t she a rug muncher?

Posted: 28 August 2008 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

i guess the lpga did succeed in getting people to talk about the lpga.

Posted: 28 August 2008 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

man, i actually like watching LPGA more than PGA tournaments WITHOUT Tiger playing.  Cute girls with mostly technically perfect swings.

here’s another one.  I didn’t copy/paste because it was too big for once post.  My favorite excerpts were at the end from the PGA’s Angel Cabrera and K.J. Choi

“I remember what (Roberto) de Vicenzo once said to me,” Cabrera said. “If you shoot under 70, everybody will understand you. If you don’t, they won’t want to talk to you, anyway.”

A few months ago, Choi had finished a brief interview when a reporter tried to say, “Thank you” in Korean, but told him he forgot the word. Choi laughed and playfully shared this thought with his agent.

“I taught him one word seven years ago and he still doesn’t remember,” he said. “And he expects me to learn his entire language?”

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-englishonly&prov=ap&type=lgns

LPGA’s English-only policy draws criticism

Posted: 05 September 2008 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

So which is it. Was it the impending press conference from the APALC? The California state senator probing the legality of the provision? Sponsors (State Farm) criticizing the policy?  All of the above?

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-lpga-english&prov=ap&type=lgns

LPGA backs down on English requirement

By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer 51 minutes ago

This June 21, 2006 file photo shows LPGA Tour commissioner Carolyn Bivens watching play on the 18th fairway during the LPGA Rochester International Pro-Am golf tournament at the Locust Hill Country Club in Pittsford, N.Y. The LPGA Tour has backed off plans that would have suspended players who could not efficiently speak English. The policy was widely criticized as discriminating against players, with most of the attention on Asians. LPGA Tour commissioner Carolyn Bivens said Friday Sept. 5, 2008 the tour would announce a revised plan by the end of the year.
Under increasing criticism, the LPGA Tour on Friday backed off a proposed policy that would have suspended players who could not efficiently speak English.

LPGA Tour commissioner Carolyn Bivens said she would announce a revised plan by the end of the year, although it would not include penalties.

Bivens disclosed the tour’s original plan in a meeting with South Korean players at the Safeway Classic in Portland, Ore., two weeks ago, which was reported by Golfweek magazine. The policy, which had not been completed, was widely criticized as discriminatory, particularly against Asian players, who won three majors this year.

“We have decided to rescind those penalty provisions,” Bivens said in a statement. “After hearing the concerns, we believe there are other ways to achieve our shared objective of supporting and enhancing the business opportunities for every tour player.”

The announcement came two hours before the Asian Pacific American Legal Center planned a news conference in Los Angeles, where it was to be joined by civil rights groups and elected officials demanding the LPGA overturn its policy.

A California state senator was seeking a legal opinion to determine whether the tour’s language requirement for players violated state or federal law. Leland Yee, a Democrat for San Francisco, hoped for an answer before the LPGA Tour returned to California in October for the Samsung World Championship.

And one of the tour’s title sponsor, State Farm, said it was “dumbfounded” by the initiative..

“We don’t understand this and we don’t know why they have done it,” State Farm spokesman Kip Diggs told Advertising Age on its Web site. “And we have strongly encouraged them to take another look at this.”

Bivens said the tour will continue to help international players through a cultural program that has been in place for three years and offers tutors and translators.

Posted: 22 September 2008 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

great job by Anthony Kim helping the USA win it’s first Ryder Cup since 1999

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-rydercup-kim&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kim concedes nothing in rout over Garcia

By DOUG FERGUSON Sep 21, 4:56 pm EDT

AP Golf Writer

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP)—From the moment Anthony Kim stepped on the first green and saw two golf balls within 2 feet of the cup, he made it clear he wasn’t going to give Sergio Garcia anything Sunday in the Ryder Cup.

“Good, good?” Garcia ask, suggesting they concede the birdies.

“Let’s putt them,” Kim replied.

Garcia rapped in his short birdie, and as he plucked his ball from the cup, picked up Kim’s coin.

That set the tone for a testy opening match at Valhalla in which the only thing Kim gave Garcia was his worst loss in the Ryder Cup. Kim rarely conceded any putt and closed out Garcia with an 8-foot par on the 14th to win, 5 and 4.
ADVERTISEMENT

“Sergio and I are good friends and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him,” Kim said. “He’s a great player and a great guy. But out there, we’re out there to do business, and we battled all day. And now we can start being friends again.”

It was an intriguing pairing between two of the best young players in golf: Garcia, the 28-year-old Spaniard who won The Players Championship and Kim, a 23-year-old from Los Angeles who won the Wachovia Championship and AT&T;National.

They played the first two rounds of the PGA Championship and appeared to enjoy their time together. Kim, however, made it clear that he wanted a shot at Europe’s best Ryder Cup player and was disappointed when he and Phil Mickelson didn’t get Garcia and Lee Westwood in the opening match Friday.

Kim got his wish Sunday, and played like it.

He birdied the second hole from 3 feet to take the lead, then Garcia returned the silence on No. 4. The Spaniard pitched up to 2 feet, and Kim conceded the putt. Kim then pitched up to 2 1/2 feet and was forced to putt. Garcia walked to the back of the green and turned his back on Kim, walking off when he heard the cheer.

It got even testier on the sixth when Garcia’s tee shot tumbled off the fairway into grass so thick that it eventually was found by European vice captain Jose Maria Olazabal, and not until Garcia finished his 280-yard walk from the tee.

Garcia could barely see the ball, but he asked rules official John Paramor for relief because to play back to the fairway, his left heel would be touching the cement stairs.

Kim was skeptical.

First, he asked Paramor that if Garcia got a drop to play back to the fairway, if he then would be allowed to play over the creek and toward the green. Then, he questioned the relief.

“Is it a normal stance when your foot goes behind you?” he asked.

He shook his head and said to Paramor, “You’ve gotta to what you gotta do,” then walked down the stairs.

Garcia ultimately decided to take an unplayable lie, hit to 15 feet and missed the par putt as Kim went 3 up. If that was meant to rattle Kim, it didn’t work. On the par-5 seventh, Kim hit a 3-iron just right of the green. Garcia felt a blast of wind, changed clubs, but his ball went high and came down short into the water as the crowd cheered. Kim, walking down the opposite fairway, waved his arms to encourage chants of “U-S-A!”

Then, Garcia hit into the water again.

The Spaniard walked toward the green. Kim stood over his chip, not sure what to do as he looked back at Garcia walking up the fairway. Paramor finally asked Garcia if he was conceding the hole and Garcia smiled, shrugging his shoulders as if to say, “What else can I do.”

As they walked off the eighth tee, Garcia asked Paramor why he would ask such a thing.

“You could have said you were walking up to identify your ball,” Paramor replied.

Garcia had a 5-foot birdie putt on the par-3 eighth with his best chance to win a hole. Kim was in the bunker, and blasted out to 6 feet. Kim made his par, Garcia missed, and the match was headed to an early conclusion.

Garcia lagged a long putt on the 11th hole to just inside 3 feet and looked toward Kim, but the American again refused to concede. And this time, Garcia missed to fall even further behind.

Kim was so excited with his par putt on the 14th that he didn’t realize he had won the match.

“I wanted to come out here and give the fans what they wanted to see,” Kim said. “I got chills up my spine the whole day.”

Garcia, virtually unbeatable in team play, fell to 1-4-0 in singles. His only victory came against Phil Mickelson in 2004. This was the first time in his five Ryder Cups that he failed to win a match.

“It was a hard day because I played against a guy that played awesome,” Garcia said. “It’s hard when you’re in those kind of situations, but unfortunately I just couldn’t get anything right today.”

3 of 4