1 of 4
Golf
Posted: 07 July 2008 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2008-02-18

After Tiger had shut it down for the season after winning his 3rd US Open title with a torn ACL and 2 stress fractures, I thought I’d be just watching the pretty ladies on the LPGA.  I’ll have to revise that since Anthony Kim is looking like an exciting player in his own right.
Also congrats to In-Bee Park for winning the womens’ U.S. Open, and Seon Hwa Lee birdied the final hole for a one-stroke victory over Jane Park and Meena Lee on Sunday in the LPGA Tour’s NW Arkansas Championship.

bba9dcd05de4769900935bf89b571bf4-getty-78697475dc083_2008_us_women.jpg
In Bee Park

capt.79496a5ade9449ba90a4f280226fcfa7.lpga_tour_golf_arab106.jpg
Seon Hwa Lee

capt.cps.mxp62.070708014410.photo00.photo.default-512x372.jpg
Anthony Kim

Kim takes Tiger’s tourney, 2nd PGA Tour win

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer Jul 7, 3:11 am EDT
BETHESDA, Md. (AP)—Anthony Kim was waiting by the scoring trailer for the other golfers to finish, his victory at Tiger Woods’ tournament, the AT&T;National, seemingly well in hand.

Suddenly, there was a pop. A muscular man had unleashed a champagne cork and was madly chasing Kim, trying to spray him with the bottle.

The man was former Green Beret and noted sports therapist Jim Weathers, who has spent this year working Kim’s muscles into shape before and after every round. Yet, when asked why his client is now one of the hottest young golfers on the tour, Weathers focused not on biceps but instead on partying.

“The guy’s staying in at night,” Weathers said. “He’s taking it very seriously.”

Kim couldn’t agree more. On Sunday, he became the first American under 25 since Woods to win at least twice in the same year on the PGA Tour, shooting a bogey-free round of 5-under 65 for a two-shot victory over Fredrik Jacobson.

“I think it’s easier to mature faster as a golfer, but definitely, as a person, I feel like I’ve come a long way,” said Kim, who turned 23 last month. “I’m making a lot better decisions off the course. I’m staying away from bad people and staying away from bad places.”
ADVERTISEMENT

The victory moved Kim up to No. 6 in the Ryder Cup standings, virtually assuring himself a spot on the American team in September, and put him on a short list of potential challengers to Woods when the world’s top golfer returns from knee surgery.

Woods apparently concurs with that assessment. Unable to be at Congressional to present the trophy, he called Kim to offer congratulations.

“He told me to just keep working hard and keep it up, and the sky’s the limit, and there’s no reason to stop now,” Kim said.

Kim grew up idolizing Woods and learned a valuable lesson from him late last season at the BMW Championship. Kim showed up at Cog Hill with enough time to wolf down a breakfast burrito, rap a few putts and go to the first tee. He noticed that Woods, scheduled to tee off 11 minutes ahead of him, had been on the course for some time getting ready for the round.

Woods wound up winning the tournament. Kim finished 22 shots behind.

“That was quite a low point in my golf career, to feel like I wasn’t doing myself justice to act that way and prepare that way,” Kim said. “I just took a step back and said, ‘If I’m going to do this, I’m going to do it the right way.’ And I’ve been doing it ever since.”

Kim’s first win was a five-shot victory at Quail Hollow in the Wachovia Championship. Now he’s won at another marquee course, coming from three shots behind in the final round and building a four-shot lead on Congressional’s back nine until a late charge by Jacobson.

“He’s fearless,” Fred Funk said. “And he’s just got that arrogance, cocky attitude, that you need to have when he’s in the position that he’s in. And he’s got the game to back it up.”

It certainly took some degree of attitude to sport the garish belt buckle Kim wore on Sunday. It sparkled with gems around the letters “AK,” nearly as eye-catching as the replica of the U.S. Capitol the tournament awards as a trophy.

Kim is already known for his belt buckles, but this one—sent to him by a clothing company—was his flashiest yet.

“It weighs a lot. It costs a lot,” Kim said. “I’m glad I wore it today. I needed a big day.”

Kim played the final 22 holes without a bogey, emerging from a crowded leaderboard with birdies around the turn. He finished at 12-under 268 and earned $1.08 million, putting him at No. 5 in the FedEx Cup standings and moving him closer to cracking the top 10 in the world.

Jacobson birdied four straight holes to close the gap, but had to settle for a par on the 18th hole that came with a consolation prize. He earned a trip to the British Open as the highest finisher among the top five at the AT&T;National not already exempt.

“I’m just happy to play well and finish off the week,” said Jacobson, who lost in a playoff after a 36-hole qualifier for the British Open on Monday outside Detroit.

U.S. Open runner-up Rocco Mediate also qualified for Royal Birkdale from a special money list.

Tommy Armour III closed with a 69 and was among six players who tied for third at 271. Armour finished with six straight pars, when one birdie would have earned him a spot in the British Open over Mediate.

Next up for Kim is the British Open, and another chance to influence the next wave of golfers the way he was influenced by Woods.

“It’s time to grow up and make the right decisions,” Kim said. “And I feel like I’m in a great position right now, that I get to affect young kids. I feel like a lot of them look up to me, so I have to put myself out there like Tiger did for me, and

Posted: 07 July 2008 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

will michelle wie ever come close to living up to the hype?

Posted: 07 July 2008 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^not so far, but she had shown signs of a recovery with a high finish in a european event.  She should’ve shut it down after her wrist injury kind of like what Tiger did, but i have a feeling she was pressured by her parents and the huge Nike contract, to play through it.  Wie didn’t play too bad in the U.S. womens Open, but she shot a 9 on a really difficult hole that dashed her chances of making the cut.  She’s still young… maybe she can find herself and come back the way that Se Ri Pak did.  Besides, her boyfriend Robin Lopez (or is it Brook?) just got drafted.  Maybe they’ll break up, and she’ll be able to concentrate on golf again.

Posted: 19 July 2008 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1158
Joined  2008-02-18

^^man… how hard is it to remember to sign your scorecard? 

wasn’t it like 4 years ago, she was in the middle of a tournament and she dropped her ball in the wrong spot? A reporter who noticed, had the opportunity to tell her before she signed her scorecard, but decided to let her finish the day and sign the card before telling the tournament officials.  Man, that guy’s a bastard.

Posted: 19 July 2008 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

most of the guys at my office golf, but they’re a different generation and tend to have kids my age.  i can see the allure of golf, the competition and attempt to do something perfect, but right now i prefer more active sports.  how many young people golf?

Posted: 19 July 2008 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1149
Joined  2007-12-05

I want to take up golf but funds are a bit too low.

Signature 

Trust me, it will be good for you.

Posted: 20 July 2008 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^^^It’s her responsibility, but her caddy should have noticed too. She went back in and signed her score card… then they have her play the entire round, end up in 2nd place, and then say she’s disqualified from the day before??? sucks

^^honestly, I see a lot of high school and college girls and guys now taking up the sport that you would normally see playing typical sports.  Call it the Tiger Woods and Nike effect. Some of these highschoolers can really bomb the ball too.  Makes me sorry I took up the game so late in life.  The Koreans in my area treat it like a family event.  I really do see all generations playing.  Me and my friends all played a lot of basketball and tennis, but are kinda tired of blowing our knees, ankles, etc.  As far as being an “active” sport.  I call swinging a golf club 70-100 times, and carrying 50lbs of golf equipment 4 miles in 4 hours pretty active.

^You can find a starter set for under $200.  My first complete set was a Dunlop set for about $179.  Then along the way as I got better, I first replaced the driver, then the irons, then wedges, putter, woods, etc.

Posted: 21 July 2008 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2008-02-19

^ What kind of gear are you carrying that you say it weights 50 pounds? 

~~~~~~~

And to supplement what JayRoam said about golf equipment, get yourself a good putter, that’s where you’ll make your biggest gains.

Posted: 21 July 2008 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^

Taylormade r7 460 driver
Taylormade r580xd 3-wood
Nike CPR-2 irons (3h, 4h, 5-pw)
Cleveland RTG588 53deg, 56deg, 60deg wedges (these wedges spin like crazy with a decently soft covered ball)
Cleveland CG11 56deg reg bounce, 60deg high bounce (i sub these for my 588’s if I know conditions are softer, or if there’s a lot of greenside bunkers)
PING Karsten B60 putter (i love this putter… PING makes some of the best balanced putters for a relative bargain)

Also, I carry a lot of drinks, clothes, food, umbrella.  just weighed my bag. it’s about 30lbs without drinks, ice pack, and food.  so let’s say 35lbs. I really didn’t know how much my bag weighs. Just knew that when I was using a travel cover at the airport, it weighed just over 50 lbs, and they let it through since it was barely over the limit

Posted: 21 July 2008 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-19

^Didn’t some infomercial have a product where you could switch out the face of the club with different inserts?  Maybe you need one of those instead of 6 clubs.  How much differnce can 6 degrees make to warrant carrying arouund 6 different wedges.  =P

Posted: 21 July 2008 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^I think you’re probably referring to the putter with that type of technology.  It’s typical to carry 3 wedges.  Some carry 2, some carry 4.  The varying lofts really do make a lot of difference.  I realized that after I had my first beginner set and only bought one wedge for it which was a 56 deg sand wedge which is the most versitile.  I like to use the 60 deg for lob shots under 100 yards where I need to stop the ball right away especially if the pin is in a spot as to which there is little green to work with.  The 53 degree wedge is great for shots just off the green that I need lower trajectory so the ball runs out more, or on shots over 100 yards where I have a hurting wind that I need to keep the ball lower or out of rough where the ball is sitting up.  You are allowed 14 clubs, so you should really maximize the variety.  Some take out a wedge to put in an extra wood, but I’ve found that having more wedges helps since I use my short game clubs more than my woods.  You hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  It’s all situational.

Posted: 22 July 2008 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18

hey I’m a nub golfer. Why are my contacts better with the 4-7 irons vs. a driver?

My short game > driving game.

Posted: 22 July 2008 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-19

^Because there’s less to go wrong with your movement when swinging a shorter club versus a longer club.  You basically hit the ball near the middle of your stance with an iron while you hit the ball near the inside of your lead foot with a driver, the mechanics of where the club releases relative to your body is different.

Posted: 22 July 2008 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  283
Joined  2008-02-19

in terms of just “hitting” the ball, the iron is easier to use. my wife can take a 7-iron and hit it about 100 yards with dead accuracy of her target; take a driver and for the life of her couldn’t hit that ball without shanking it.
as for accuracy(game play), the short game is much harder. there are so many variables when using irons. you have to know which iron to use then determine how much swing to apply to get the distance, if you want to fade or draw, how much spin to apply to a ball, etc. I have been playing since seven, and i’m still learning how to improve my short game.

Signature 

http://s7.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=78828

Posted: 22 July 2008 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18

^ I’m having the same exact woes that you’re wife is having. My short game by ALL means is not perfect at ALL.

But my drives are extremely erratic (they keep going right, obviously). Dunno if you had any tips on the set-form, etc.

Posted: 22 July 2008 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  283
Joined  2008-02-19

the biggest problem for most golfers is slicing, which is caused by an open face club. when you are on the top of your backswing, note the palm of your right hand. is it facing upward? if not, then do so. now, on impact(address) make sure your right palm is parallel to your target. if your club head is open your right palm is facing the direction of the direction your ball will be going, which is right in your case. and try not to dip your hips too much on your downswing. a lot of people tend to dip their right hip too much on impact, which causes your club head to open.

btw....don’t assume I am talking about palm facing upward as a “45 degree angle with your right wrist at the top of the backswing” approach, just make sure your left wrist is straight at the top of your backswing. I just took some practice swings in the office and realized that should be noted.

Signature 

http://s7.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=78828

1 of 4