1 of 17
Free fashion-related advice
Posted: 01 July 2008 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  261
Joined  2008-02-18

i probably have thousands of my dollars in the form of clothes and accessories, i’m going to a fashion school (albeit for graphic design), and i have a keen eye for aesthetics. so i’d say i’m pretty qualified.

test me out, ask away! don’t know what to wear today? looking for the perfect pair of jeans? want to know what brands are right for you? here is your chance to a more fashionable you; guys and girls all are welcome!

Posted: 01 July 2008 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2008-02-19

So what’s the deal with true religion jeans?  I can’t seem to find a pair that fit right and also feel like they make me feel shorter than I really am because the position of the pockets being so low and also because they’re super long.

Am I just being paranoid? 

=P

Posted: 01 July 2008 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

youve encounted the problem with most premium denim brands out there these days. seven, citizens, paige, they are all made for skinny long legged white girls. true religion is even more exclusive to perky assed long legged white girls bc like you said, the pockets are indeed placed lower than normal, on top of being heavily stitched so they stick out even more. moreover, the inseams on a lot of their cuts are twisted (it’s a “trademark") and make asian legs look even more warped.

that being said, i do own a few pairs of true religion. i like them because they feel sturdier and more structured than other brands, and the ones with stretch actually fit really nicely. the key is to find a pair that has modest pockets (no colorful or heavy stitching, no neon buttons) to counteract their low position, and find a straight inseam, instead of their trademark twisted seam. go for a straight leg, boocut or a skinny. the flared cuts usually end up looking funny after being hemmed. i have to get mind hemmed usually 3-4 inches so dont feel bad. unless you’re heidi klum, i think most regular girls get their jeans hemmed a bit.

here are a few examples:

truer2008119759_prod_medium_v1_m56577569831146671._SX201_.jpg truer2008119759_prod_zoom_back_v1_m56577569831146672._SX201_.jpg

^ johnny straight leg stretch

truer2008312667_prod_zoom_front_v1_m56577569831146683._SX201_.jpg truer2008312667_prod_zoom_back_v1_m56577569831146688._SX201_.jpg

^ bobby stretch

truer2007322623_prod_zoom_front_v1_m56577569831082879._SX201_.jpgtruer2007322623_prod_zoom_back_v1_m56577569831082881._SX201_.jpg

^ gina lowrise bootcut

Posted: 01 July 2008 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1158
Joined  2008-02-18

any tips on hairstyles for asian guys?

oh, and any shirt/tie combos to stay away from?

Posted: 01 July 2008 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2008-02-19

^^SO, I assume that not being a girl, you’re basically saying I should steer clear of true regilion jeans.

HAHAHAHA.

Oh wait, you’re not telling me to shop for girl jeans, are you?  That’d be messed up...only Lenny Kravitz does that.

Posted: 01 July 2008 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22

Dear June,

I have a big Korean head.  And I have no idea how to wear my hair.

I just end up shaving it all the time.

Is there a style I should go with?

Mike

Posted: 01 July 2008 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18
CurryChicken - 01 July 2008 07:31 PM

any tips on hairstyles for asian guys?

this is going to sound bad but the better looking you are/better shape you are in, the more types of hairstyles you can pull off. generally, for most face types, i like asian guys to have a not too short, not too long hair cut, styled in a tousled but neat way. it’s versatile and goes with most clothing styles as well. it can be dressed up or dressed down, and it seems that most guys can manage this style every day.

exhibit a:

wonbin_02.jpg b21580427.jpg

mmm, fucking hot.

i think most guys should stick to a version of this style, it’s pretty safe and goes with most face types. a more structured and stronger featured face type can pull off less hair, even a completely bald head. i’m not a fan, but if i had to choose i think it looks best on these types of faces.

exhibit b:

22885174.jpg 322c_fashion_advice.jpg

i don’t know any girls that like this next type, and i only usually see them on asian celebs, but there are some guys that like to rock the soft wavy long hairstyle. most of the guys i see with this style are pale, effeminate, and frail looking. either that or they are celebs forced to don the hairstyle by their agents. if you are any of those, then go for it. maybe you can be a balladeer that makes the older asian ladies swoon.

exhibit c:

Bi-Rain.jpg 080508_rain_thumb.jpg

^ here is a good example of what i said before. in the first photo, i think most girls wouldn’t give a damn about his gay hair bc we’re too busy looking at his body. the second photo.... not so much. like i said, the better looking you are…

color is completely a matter of preference, but most girls i know and talk to are not a fan of frosting or highlights on a guy. i personally prefer my guys hair to be black and nothing else. if you insist on coloring, go for allover color, maybe a subtle dark brown or dark burgundy. for product, the hard, hand-impaling, gel-shellacked spiky look is a no no unless you are 14 and in high school. opt for a more flexible product like wax or pomade. it’s not fun to run your fingers through, but it looks the most natural without sacrificing style.

Posted: 01 July 2008 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18
(o’_’o) - 01 July 2008 07:39 PM

^^SO, I assume that not being a girl, you’re basically saying I should steer clear of true regilion jeans.

HAHAHAHA.

Oh wait, you’re not telling me to shop for girl jeans, are you?  That’d be messed up...only Lenny Kravitz does that.

i guess i figured you were a girl since i’m a girl and your problems sounded a lot like the ones girls have with true religion jeans. lol in the case that youre a guy, i don’t have experience with men’s TR jeans but i guess if theyre too long, just hem ‘em! and to still answer your questions, yes the pockets are low, and no, youre not paranoid.

lol i hope some girls will find that post helpful raspberry

Posted: 01 July 2008 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2008-02-20

Not my thread, but I don’t know how I’d feel about a guy in true religion jeans.  Same with sevens and citizens.  It just seems off with the fancy pockets.  I think guys should stick to diesels, levis, paper denims, earnest sewns, brands like that.

Posted: 01 July 2008 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

lol i think thats why i thought the first question was asked by a girl

Posted: 01 July 2008 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1590
Joined  2008-02-20

^ I dated three guys with each of those hairstyles, in that order too.  The first one is the best, though maybe not quite as tousled in real life.  That boyfriend had the best personality too.  I don’t really like the latter two hairstyles, but maybe I am associating the psychological issues of those ex-boyfriends with the hairstyles.

Posted: 01 July 2008 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

For people who are missing the genes for having any sense of fashion or visual aesthetics, is there any way to systematically learn fashion?

What brands are right for me?  Where should I shop?

I am 5’ 6”, skinny, long hair, somewhat darker than the average Chinese.  What do you need to know to match brands and fashions to people?

Posted: 01 July 2008 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1158
Joined  2008-02-18
DancingDragon - 01 July 2008 10:26 PM

^ I dated three guys with each of those hairstyles, in that order too.  The first one is the best, though maybe not quite as tousled in real life.  That boyfriend had the best personality too.  I don’t really like the latter two hairstyles, but maybe I am associating the psychological issues of those ex-boyfriends with the hairstyles.

what psychological issues do you associate with those hairstyles?

Posted: 01 July 2008 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

a picture of yourself would probably help.

but in general, there are basic do’s and don’ts to fashion. each person can work with these to develop their own style. if youre darker, i like to see brighter colors like whites and yellows on dark skin. i tend to buy more of those colored items during the summer when i’m tan. 5’6” and skinny? there’s probably not a lot you can’t wear. you can probably pull off a lot of things some girls only wish they can.

some of the general “rules” i can pull off the top of my head include never wearing brown and black accessories together (a brown top with black bottoms is not always wrong), not wearing bermuda knee-length shorts if your torso is longer than your legs, a skirt should hit either just knee-length or shorter (any longer and it should just hit the ground or it will cut off your leg line making you look shorter), not wearing graphic tees that actually say something (theyre just tacky to me, if you want to make a statement use your words), and sandals with socks or nylons are a no-no.

fashion is always evolving so it’s hard to set hard rules down but i think those that have to do with proportions are pretty steadfast… as are what i think are some of the basic items pretty much every woman should have in their closet.
- jeans, of course. good, quality denim in a few different cuts and washes.
- dress pants, either for work or an interview, usually black or white or something else neutral
- the lbd (little black dress), something versatile that can be accessorized several different ways
- a good coat, either trench or pea
- basic tops like tees and tanks in several different colors
- a good jacket to go with those dress pants, can also be worn with jeans
of course, there will be more unique items sprinkled in, and also a whole arsenal of shoes, but that is a lot to go into in one post.

what brands and where to shop will depend on the kind of “look” you’re going for and of course also your budget.

celebs are always a good source of inspiration, most of them have stylists and are paid to look put-together in public. this doesn’t mean you have to spend as much as they do, but it’s a good jumping off point to see what you like and dislike. some of the celeb styles i like are:

rachel bilson
her ensemble always looks effortless yet well thought out

rachel-bilson-legs.jpg rachel-bilson-vons.jpg

lauren conrad
crappy reality show aside, i usually see her wearing something i want to buy. she always wears something easy, california laid back, yet still cute and flattering

Lauren%20Conrad.preview_0.jpg lauren-conrad-d-and-g-allyson-bowling-bag.jpg

and… that’s all i can think of for now

Posted: 01 July 2008 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

^^ I think I meant more of those hairstyles remind me of those ex-boyfriends.

Posted: 02 July 2008 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2008-02-18

dearest june,

i am in need of a new hairstyle.
i am currently growing out my hair/bangs.
because
i want caliwhitegirlhair. ie. the bilson, the conrad and that heidi girl.
is there anything i can do (layering?) in the meantime to help my hair grow more...jayunseurupgeh?

yours,
g

1 of 17