1 of 2
Poll
Do "find your Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Philippino/Iranian/Zimbabwean mate" ads offend you?
Yes, I’m offended by them. 5
No, there’s nothing wrong with them. 3
Who cares. I don’t even notice them. 9
Offensive ads? What offensive ads? 5
Total Votes: 22
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Offensive Ads on II stix
Posted: 13 June 2008 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1508
Joined  2007-12-18

I’m thinking about dropping Google Adsense all together. I don’t like some of these Find <insert asian ethnicity here> mate and mail order bride type of ads showing up on the site. I will lose revenue to run the site but I think it’s worth it. I will figure something else out if i decide to drop Google Adsense. What do other think? Does anybody care about these ads? Do these ads offend you?

Signature 

“If you’ve drawn a sword, at least cut something”

Posted: 13 June 2008 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

ki, how big of an issue is revenue?  is iistix strapped for cash?

as i’ve posted before, i block ads, and i’m not sure how much the ads do bring in.  just guessing, i don’t think i’m the only one who does that either.

as for ways to make revenue, other sites i’ve been on have created membership programs or sold stuff, both of which i recall iistix doing.  i’m sure that is more work and time is tight for everybody.  but i think we have a community here that would want to help support the site in creative ways.

Posted: 13 June 2008 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2008-02-18

I just wouldn’t mind paying a flat fee for membership-special nifty things.

Posted: 13 June 2008 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-18

I don’t want to charge people unless I was offering something of a value and really worth the cost. I don’t want visiting this site to be any kind of privilege to anyone. I just want experience here to be good and people to visit because they want to. I’d very much like the community to grow because they think it’s a good site to visit.

Personally, it doesn’t bother me at all if people are blocking ads. I hate ads too. And no, revenue is not an issue right now. Perhaps in the future, if we start doing more bandwidth heavy stuff but for now, revenue is not an issue. I just don’t want to serve up any ads that are offensive or detrimental to Asians.

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2008 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1158
Joined  2008-02-18

they don’t bother me… god knows i go to sites with MUCH more offensive ads than that.  Anyways, is there a way to complain to google adsense about the type of ads that show up.  I don’t suppose you could ask for ads about mortgages instead. I’d probably me more likely to click on those than a singles ad.

Posted: 13 June 2008 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-18
CurryChicken - 13 June 2008 12:46 PM

I don’t suppose you could ask for ads about mortgages instead. I’d probably me more likely to click on those than a singles ad.

Are you sure?  wink j/k

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2008 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2008-02-19

Bring back the iistix t-shirts, is what I say.

I do sometimes get annoyed with the ads, especially when I get that paranoid feeling that someone out there is collecting way too much information from my end.

Posted: 13 June 2008 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18
II stix - 13 June 2008 12:36 PM

I don’t want to charge people unless I was offering something of a value and really worth the cost. I don’t want visiting this site to be any kind of privilege to anyone. I just want experience here to be good and people to visit because they want to. I’d very much like the community to grow because they think it’s a good site to visit.

here’s a “membership” set up at uniwatch, a blog i read.  the site stays free for all, but members get a few bonus items and know their money is going to support a place they enjoy.

Posted: 13 June 2008 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2008-02-19

i dont mind the ads.  i really don’t pay much attention to them

Posted: 13 June 2008 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22

I enjoy the possibility of searching and viewing millions of millions of Naughty or Nice singles for FREE!

Posted: 13 June 2008 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1590
Joined  2008-02-20

I don’t find them so offensive as dumb.  Sucks that anytime a Web site has the word Asian it it, it will get this kind of ad.

I think Adsense works better when the ads are alongside articles so it can do better keyword matching.  It doesn’t work as well on general forum pages.

There are some times when ads are actually useful.  I think it is when the topic is specific and you are looking for information on a type of product, like if I were Googling about reusable shopping bags or something.

Posted: 13 June 2008 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18

we must be talking about relationships too much.

sex asian singles fetish chinese vietnamese korean tawianese japanese naughty available blah blah blah

Posted: 13 June 2008 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1590
Joined  2008-02-20

^ Actually that is a good point.  Are those ads mostly showing up on the main forum page and the SLR category?  It might be because we have:

Sex, Love & Relationships
Insert witty comment about men, women, broken hearts, penises or boobs here.

So AdSense can’t filter out by keywords, but it does have this thing called section targeting where you can emphasize or ignore sections:

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=23168&topic=8441

I haven’t tried it much myself so I don’t know how well it works.  Maybe we could put a <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) --> around the above.

Posted: 14 June 2008 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  283
Joined  2008-02-19

no I don’t. (becoming fobby)

but I did see one ad on a asian american(or was it this one) site that kinda confused me. It was an ad for single gay asian males. I was wondering if there was a growing gay asian male population or just many asian gays go to that site for that ad to appear.

Signature 

http://s7.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=78828

Posted: 16 June 2008 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1491
Joined  2008-02-18

i get totally offended.
i do NOT need to be told HOW TO KEEP MY MAN HAPPY.

my mans is happy. dammit. bc i say so!

Posted: 23 July 2008 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  680
Joined  2008-02-18

You forgot the option of “iistix ads are hilariously and blatantly cheesy”

Everybody already forgot the gigantic yellow “Indian dating” ad?  lol.

1 of 2