2 of 2
Poll
Have you changed your driving habit due to rise in gas price?
Yes, I drive less but my driving habit hasn’t changed. 7
No, gas price does not affect me. 3
Yes, I drive less and drive more conservatively. 14
I dunno. I don’t pay attention to this kind of stuff. 2
Yes, I will use mass transit more 0
Total Votes: 26
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Driving habit - Gas price
Posted: 16 June 2008 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2008-02-25

I bike whenever possible.

Signature 

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
Don’t Steal - The government hates competition

Posted: 18 July 2008 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1508
Joined  2007-12-18

I also telecommute whenever possible. I’ve been working from home and going into office once a week for past 6 months.

Signature 

“If you’ve drawn a sword, at least cut something”

Posted: 18 July 2008 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2008-02-19

Telecommuting is supposedly been shown to improve productivity.  I wish my place saw things that way.

Posted: 18 July 2008 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1590
Joined  2008-02-20

^ Totally.  It does.  First, you can take the commute time and work during it instead. 

Secondly, I found out that in the office, there’s all this chitchat, both work and non-work related, that goes on literally all day in the cubicles next to you or down the hall, and it really does interrupt, disturb, and slow down people’s work.  One person talking on the phone in an office wastes the entire floor’s time.

Third, if you can do whatever you need whenever you want, like go run a 10 minute errand or take a short walk or surf the Web, then you don’t have to sit around pretending to be working and just do what you need and then get back to work.

Posted: 21 July 2008 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2008-02-19

Keep the revs low, shift early, accelerate slowly, coast to red lights, break gently, and average my speed in rush hour.

I’ve been driving like this for quite a few years. I drove like a maniac when I was a kid though.

Signature 

٩๏̯๏)۶
╮(╯_╰)╭

Posted: 21 July 2008 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2008-02-18

I don’t rev quite as high, and shift in the mid rpm’s more… but my car is so much fun, that I gotta wind it up every now and then to hit vtec .  6 speed stick will do that to you.  Even though my engine is a 4 cylinder, it’s a high compression 4, so it requires premium 93 octane.  If I need to go downtown, and I’m not in a hurry, I’ll take the bike to the el (subway), and get downtown that way.  Other than that, the gas prices haven’t really done anything to me.

Posted: 13 August 2008 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2008-07-31

Living in SF I didn’t have a car. I was all MUNI (mass transit) and LOVED IT (still miss it)

I moved to So Cal and bought a car thinking I was going to be a commuter, but fortune has it that I roll out to bed and into my office. I drive under 4k miles a year which is unheard of here. Gas prices are harsh, but if the car is parked, it ain’t no thing.

2 of 2