Total Posts:  728
Joined  2008-02-19

mets canned randolph

Posted: 17 June 2008 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

sucks for him.  they clearly have the talent but they just aren’t doing it for randolph.  the 3:15 am announcement is weird.

Posted: 17 June 2008 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

i under hank steinbrenner being pissed about chien ming wang getting hurt, but blaming the national league?  i wonder how most baseball fans feel about the dh and if they prefer it to pitchers hitting and running.

Posted: 17 June 2008 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2008-02-19
tenjay - 17 June 2008 10:07 AM

sucks for him.  they clearly have the talent but they just aren’t doing it for randolph.  the 3:15 am announcement is weird.

they wanted to avoid the ny press.  cowardly move.  they are underachieving but its not all his fault.  their line up is old and not enough pitching.

Posted: 27 June 2008 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

pretty cool article here about mc hammer working for the a’s as a kid.

Posted: 31 July 2008 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22

What, what a nutty ass trade day.

Man Ram to the Dodgers, a former fave team of mine.

And Griffey to the Sox?  That’s now the one thing I like about the Sox.

Posted: 01 August 2008 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2008-02-18

^sox r gonna put Griff in center. they better hope his body holds up.

my cubbies swept 4 games on the brewcrew and now lead the central by 5.  The pitching is now rock solid, but who knows when we’ll get Kerry Wood back.  Apparently the “blister” on his finger is more of an open wound without any skin at all.  The emergence of Samarzdija will probably free up Scott Eyre to be traded… maybe for some extra pop in the lineup

Posted: 01 August 2008 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

with the trade deadline passed, who would be free to add pop besides bonds?

Posted: 01 August 2008 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^This 7/31 trade deadline only means that after the deadline players have to clear waivers to be traded, along with paperwork and approvals from the commissioner’s office.  Players can still be traded up to 8/31, and even after that, they can still be traded but are not eligible for post season play on their new team, so the big deadline is actually 8/31.

For example, the Cubs raided the Pirates back in 2003, acquiring Aramis Ramirez, Randall Simon and Kenny Lofton in the middle of August, well after the trade deadline.

Posted: 01 August 2008 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

i know, but don’t you think the brewers or other nl contenders would block any trade to the cubs?  as long a team is lower in the standings, they can claim guys off of waivers before the cubs.

Posted: 01 August 2008 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^that’s pretty difficult to do. 1) you need to be smart about a good fit for your team, and trade based on need.  2) the Cubs have a much bigger bankroll than the Brewers.  3) GM’s have relationships with one another, and will rarely “screw” another one over by nixing a deal and sending that player to a rival.  4) The Cubs currently have a deep bullpen (Eyre is the most expendable), and robust farm system.  The Cardinals and Brewers likely don’t have enough expendable talent to give up for a player to immediately impact the team.

Honestly, I can’t think of a situation in which that has happened in the past.  If that were the case, then in 2003, the Cardinals or Astros would have screwed the Cubs and Pirates trade.  Please enlighten me if I’m incorrect.

Posted: 01 August 2008 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

as i understand it, a guy has to clear waivers before he can be traded.  when he is put on waivers, within a certain period of time, every team can put in a claim and if you do and are the lowest team, you get the guy, his contract and he must stay on the roster.  a guy might clear because he hasn’t done much this season or his contract is awful.  once a guy passes waivers, he can be traded.

more info at wikipedia

i guess it’s something that could happen, but doesn’t always happen, here’s an article that talks a little about the whole process.  i think if there really was a quality player out there who was put on waivers, the brewers would try to block.  somebody with a big contract and hasn’t done much probably would clear waivers.  if grady sizemore (good player, relatively small contract) was put on waivers, i’m sure somebody would snap him up.  barry zito on the other hand, considering his tenure with the giants would likely clear waivers easily.

here’s a little story from that link:

Any claiming team has to be willing to assume the player’s contract and keep the player in the majors, because the current team just might decide not to pull their player back. In that case, like it or not, the player becomes the claiming team’s property, if they are the lowest-priority team to put in a claim.

The textbook example occurred at the deadline in 1998, when reliever Randy Myers was claimed off waivers by the first-place San Diego Padres from the Toronto Blue Jays, in an attempt to block a rival from taking him, rumored to be the Atlanta Braves.

The Padres won the battle, but lost the war.

The Padres expected that either a lower-ranked team would claim Myers or more likely, that the Jays would simply pull him back, no matter who claimed Myers. Imagine their surprise when Toronto turned around and told the Padres to take him.

As a result, San Diego ended up eating $13.5 million dollars from the bad contract they were forced to assume. Myers’ major league career ended in injury following 21 ineffective outings with San Diego that season.

Posted: 02 August 2008 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

^I think you’re thinking of a different scenario.  This is not a trade scenario that you’ve referenced.  The Cubs acquired Jim Edmonds this way.  The Padres released him earlier this year on waivers, he cleared, and the Cubs claimed him at a bargain contract, without giving up any players and Edmonds is now a big producer.

In a waiver/trade scenario, there would be a player swap. anyway. it’s not likely to happen and very rare.  The Brewers are likely tapped out of trade bait, and cash since they’ve acquired Sabathia and Durham.  The Cardinals have lost quite a bit of talent since last year, so they’re not to be a player in the trade sweepstakes.  Teams lower than them, are looking to unload.  The teams you could most likely see fighting over talent would be in the AL East with the Yanks and Red Sox due to the hatred between ownerships, and large bankrolls.  The Rays wouldn’t likely acquire anyone, as it’s reported they believe they can go all the way with their talent, and as a small market team, they don’t have as much money.

Posted: 04 August 2008 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

it still applies because the player would still need to clear waivers.  from the wiki on waivers:

If a team claims a player off waivers and has the viable claim as described above, his current team (the “waiving team") may choose one of the following options:
-arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
-rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
-do nothing and allow the claiming team to (1) assume the player’s existing contract, (2) pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and (3) place the player on its active major league roster.

another article on waiving and blocking

Posted: 11 August 2008 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-18

Picture5-2.png
melvin mora from the orioles is a girl?

3 of 6