Coconut
Posted: 18 March 2008 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1590
Joined  2008-02-20

Does anyone drink coconut water/juice?  Are there any decent brands that sell it here? 

Not having grown up drinking from fresh coconuts, I’m not sure what it’s supposed to taste like.  I bought an Amy & Brian’s brand from Whole Foods on a whim, and it tasted okay.

Today I got a VitaCoco.  It tastes nasty to me.  I wonder if it’s bad because it seems slightly sour.  And has no coconut smell whatsoever.

Later I’m going to try a ONE brand.

I surfed the Web and found some people say the opposite of what I think.  But I dunno, I’m not sure these Americans going to South America and packaging up coconut water know what they’re selling and drinking.

Posted: 18 March 2008 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18
DancingDragon - 18 March 2008 07:10 PM

Does anyone drink coconut water/juice?  Are there any decent brands that sell it here? 

Not having grown up drinking from fresh coconuts, I’m not sure what it’s supposed to taste like.  I bought an Amy & Brian’s brand from Whole Foods on a whim, and it tasted okay.

Today I got a VitaCoco.  It tastes nasty to me.  I wonder if it’s bad because it seems slightly sour.  And has no coconut smell whatsoever.

Later I’m going to try a ONE brand.

I surfed the Web and found some people say the opposite of what I think.  But I dunno, I’m not sure these Americans going to South America and packaging up coconut water know what they’re selling and drinking.

I’ve never tried packaged coconut water, I’ve only tried it from coconuts at restaurants or while travelling.  I’ve felt the taste can really vary, depending on the ripeness and freshness of the coconut.  I’ve been told that sour = unripe or sour = gone bad.

Overall I don’t like coconut water much.

Posted: 19 March 2008 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

i know coconuts are indispensable to the survivorman.

Posted: 19 March 2008 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4184
Joined  2008-01-22

I feel like I need to shave now.

I think I had VitaCoco and it tasted like crap.

Posted: 19 March 2008 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
White Belt
Rank
Total Posts:  179
Joined  2008-02-20

myeah.. sour taste=no good

i usually don’t like the canned variety.. i can taste the metal

everything else is good

Signature 

---
aka flip19

Posted: 19 March 2008 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

Guess I need to find some fresh coconuts and see what it’s supposed to taste like.

Yeah, the VitaCoco tastes like old rotten coconuts, like sweaty feet.  :0 I read that it got started when some white dudes were talking to some Brazilian gals in a bar and asked them what they missed… agua de coco.  Then a couple months later, the white dude is in Brazil starting up this business.  I think the Brazilians must be giving them their rotten coconuts.  I’m really puzzled as to how many comments I see on the Web praising VitaCoco.  Maybe they paid people to put positive reviews on Amazon.com.

I’m drinking the ONE brand right now.  Much better.  Not particularly tasty but drinkable.  I think that brand was started by a Brazilian dude.  Not cheap though.

I think I need to find an actual ethnic brand or see what’s in the Asian markets.

Posted: 19 March 2008 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1964
Joined  2008-02-18

I’m sure I’ve had coconut water in the Bay area, at some Thai or maybe Vietnamese restaurant.  If I see it again I’ll let you know.

I’ve seen the coconuts around in supermarkets too.  You just need a chinese cleaver (and I guess a friend or relative to give you a hand) to get into it.

Posted: 20 March 2008 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2008-02-18

ive never had coconut milk from a can or anything.. always fresh from an actual coconut. it does vary in taste from very sweet, to sour.

Posted: 20 March 2008 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Blue Belt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2008-02-19

just go to an asian supermarket they usually have fresh coconut. 

as for the taste, it tastes like sour water.  its not horrible but better chilled. 

i think its also a natural diuretic.

Posted: 20 March 2008 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

ah yes, it does seem to vary a lot in taste.

actually the only sour one was the vitococo.  the ONE brand was actually kind of nice and lightly sweet.  that one is the best so far.

anyway, i’m trying to see if coconut water has any beneficial health effects on me.

random factoid - i read quite a few (mostly filipino and indian) people mention on the Web that coconut water helps with chicken pox and measles.

Posted: 20 March 2008 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2008-02-18

73150.jpg

Posted: 20 March 2008 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Yellow Belt
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2008-02-20

I tried drinking from a coocut before, and it just sort of tasted like extremely watered down coconut flavour.  very disappointing.

Posted: 22 March 2011 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Red Belt
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3476
Joined  2008-02-18

3 years later and coconut water is all the rage.

Posted: 22 March 2011 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Purple Belt
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-20

i thought it was a fad when i started this thread.  it revived?